• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

More observations of mites.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline futurebird - Posted September 6 2021 - 3:53 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY
If you read my other thread on mites I can summarize it as "futurebird sees TWO mites and goes nuts trying to find out how to kill them only to never see anymore mites. 

Well recently I saw what seemed like the same kind of mite again, only in a new context. I collected a bunch of fruit flies and quickly steamed them then I froze them. I gave some of this horrible paste to my camponotus discolor ants a few days ago and later noticed live mites on the dead fruit flies. I was little horrified, but I've been coming to suspect something about these mites.

I think they only eat dead insects. And they live with the ants, helping to break down all the leftovers. 

I had taken some video of my ants eating the fruit flies and in the video to my horror I saw a mite almost get on one ant... only to jump off. In fact, they seemed to disperse when the ants would trouble the flies. 

I went over the whole colony with the macro lense and didn't see any mites in the nest. Only a few on dead insects. 

I also check the live flies in the culture that the meal came from. 

Long and short some mites probably aren't harmful. 

I also think that when some keepers THINK their colony was "killed by mites" the real culprit may have been too much humidity, other diseases, incomplete diets or really anything that might weaken the ants. 

So, when I've read mite horror stories keepers notice mites on their ants in large numbers, and soon the whole colony is dead. But the mites might just be taking advantage of ants that are already dying.

8FBxeu4.jpg

There is no way I'd notice these mites without using the ultra macro lens. If you can see mites with your naked eye it must be VERY bad.

I'm going to try to catch some and put them under my microscope.
  • m99 likes this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 6 2021 - 4:46 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
It’s true these trash mites won’t kill your colonies, they can, however, kill your interest in the hobby if they get out of hand.
  • m99 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users