• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Merging Pheidole Queens

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline DarkCerebral - Posted September 2 2021 - 8:27 PM

DarkCerebral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

I have 2 queens which were collected a week apart. Queen 1 has a small brood pile and queen 2 is only here for a day so far.

I am curious when would be a good time to introduce the queens and try to merge them together. Also, If I were to find other queens, what are best practice to merge undeveloped colonies or more developed ones as well.

My intentions are to merge the queens in order to justify putting them in a mini hearth or similar size formicarium. Please Advise.

(I have attached a meh image of the newest queen for reference)

Attached Images

• Pheidole.2.2.jpeg

#2 Offline eea - Posted September 2 2021 - 8:47 PM

eea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Probably never, they would most likely kill each other, keep each other alive until they have workers.

• Manitobant likes this

-camponotus sansabeanus: 20 wokrers

#3 Offline DarkCerebral - Posted September 2 2021 - 8:50 PM

DarkCerebral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Probably never, they would most likely kill each other, keep each other alive until they have workers.

Oh My!!! I thought they might be polygynous. Thanks for the heads up. Looks like hopefully multiple colonies incoming.

• eea likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users