• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tupelo,MS - 2021/08/31

Best Answer Manitobant , September 1 2021 - 10:38 AM

Judging by the time of day you found her and the size and general look of the queen, I'm gonna make a guess and say that its brachymyrmex patagonicus. This is one of the best beginner species in the southern united states, due to being polygynous, fully claustral and forgiving to mistakes. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline DarkCerebral - Posted August 31 2021 - 7:47 PM

DarkCerebral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

1. Tupelo, MS; City Park Pavilion, Night under Lights
2. 2021/08/31
3. City Park
4. 3.18 mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: 
6. Small head (Started 3 weeks ago Anting and no clue how to describe to this detail.)
7. High Energy
8. N/A

9. 2021/08/31, Night, Bright light Pavilion Concrete floor,  they were in a Nuptial flight (Males and Females by the thousands on the platform mating)

(Apologize for poor image quality)

(Updated Images to be a bit more clear)

Attached Images

• B546F79B-CD46-4B47-A67A-2291D43C19C2.jpeg
  • 756311C5-9B9C-4856-8FE3-6823E441A306.jpeg
  • 686D90FE-88CE-4622-A77E-EF7836DEA03C.jpeg

Edited by DarkCerebral, August 31 2021 - 9:15 PM.

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 31 2021 - 8:34 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Formicinae is as far as you could go with these images.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline DarkCerebral - Posted August 31 2021 - 8:38 PM

DarkCerebral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Formicinae is as far as you could go with these images.

Regarding the images, what is the best way to get good images. I'm guessing other than buying a better camera, using a magnifying glass of some sort? I can update tomorrow with better pictures if so. I have 5-6 of these since that was all of the tubes I had on me during this flight.

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 1 2021 - 2:14 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Try placing your ants by a windowsill with some direct sunlight coming in for better lighting. Focus from a few inches away. Clip-on macro lenses for phone cameras are relatively cheap.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 1 2021 - 10:38 AM   Best Answer

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Judging by the time of day you found her and the size and general look of the queen, I'm gonna make a guess and say that its brachymyrmex patagonicus. This is one of the best beginner species in the southern united states, due to being polygynous, fully claustral and forgiving to mistakes.

#6 Offline DarkCerebral - Posted September 1 2021 - 11:42 AM

DarkCerebral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Judging by the time of day you found her and the size and general look of the queen, I'm gonna make a guess and say that its brachymyrmex patagonicus. This is one of the best beginner species in the southern united states, due to being polygynous, fully claustral and forgiving to mistakes.

This is what I suspected, but I am afraid to blindly put queens together without being sure. I am planning to put them in a Mini Hearth if so. 

I have been reviewing some images it this looks almost exactly right. I may try to merge 2 queens together and see what happens.

Edited by DarkCerebral, September 1 2021 - 11:45 AM.

#7 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 1 2021 - 1:30 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

This is what I suspected, but I am afraid to blindly put queens together without being sure. I am planning to put them in a Mini Hearth if so. 

I have been reviewing some images it this looks almost exactly right. I may try to merge 2 queens together and see what happens.
i wouldn't put patagonicus in a mini hearth unless you have like 10+ queens together or the colony is quite large. Patagonicus are very small ants and can last in a test tube for a very long time.

#8 Offline DarkCerebral - Posted September 1 2021 - 1:51 PM

DarkCerebral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

i wouldn't put patagonicus in a mini hearth unless you have like 10+ queens together or the colony is quite large. Patagonicus are very small ants and can last in a test tube for a very long time.

Ok, thanks for the information! I will probably not merge that many queens, so I can use this mini hearth for a different species. I have tubes and mini outworlds I will use for this species. I have some other ID request incoming which may determine who gets the hearth.

#9 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 1 2021 - 2:48 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I think that Nylanderia is more likely, with the new images, the antennae look a bit too long for B. patagonicus.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users