• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ID Request Baltimore MD 31 Aug

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline GeologyRocks - Posted August 31 2021 - 5:17 AM

GeologyRocks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Found some small pen dot sized holes in the corner of one of my upstairs bedroom ceilings. Thought at first bad paint job by previous owner, but this morning saw some critters milling about. Also notices on the floor below a bunch of dead ones.

My first thought was oh no termites, but these look like ants to me.

Can anyone help me out? Very much appreciate the time!

Here's a clip of one crawling around: https://streamable.com/iit960

IMG_4600.JPG

Body:
1. Location of collection: 2nd floor bedroom ceiling, Abuts up tp chimney.

2. Date of collection: 31 Aug
3. Habitat of collection: Indoor residential
4. Length: Unknown, very small .25" or less
5. Coloration: Dark head body with lighter limbs
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Unknown, too much of an amateur
7. Anything else distinctive: Some dead ants on floor below and light debris.
8. Nest description: Unknown.

9. Nuptial flight time and date: NA
10 . Post the clearest pictures possible of the top, side, and face of the ant in question, and if possible, their nest and the habitat they were collected in.

Edited by GeologyRocks, August 31 2021 - 6:41 AM.

• AntBoi3030 likes this

#2 Offline PetsNotPests - Posted August 31 2021 - 6:09 AM

PetsNotPests

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • LocationSouthern LA County, California

Tetramorium sp. Likley T. immigrans. Please follow the proper ID format next time. 

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Ants are Pets, not Pests. 

-Camponotus sansabeanus

-Camponotus US-CA02

-Camponotus vicinus

-Formica podzolica

-Monomorium spp.

-Pogonomyrmex californicus

-Solenopsis spp. 

#3 Offline GeologyRocks - Posted August 31 2021 - 6:27 AM

GeologyRocks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Tetramorium sp. Likley T. immigrans. Please follow the proper ID format next time. 

Sorry about that! Updated with all I know.

• TestSubjectOne, Antkeeper01 and AntBoi3030 like this

#4 Offline GeologyRocks - Posted August 31 2021 - 3:39 PM

GeologyRocks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

How certain are you that it isn't a small carpenter ant? Do pavement ants have similar mandibles that can kind of be seen above?

#5 Offline GeologyRocks - Posted August 31 2021 - 4:02 PM

GeologyRocks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Wish I had a magnifying class or a macro lens. These buggers are so tiny the iphone camera really doesn't do the job.

#6 Offline PetsNotPests - Posted August 31 2021 - 4:30 PM

PetsNotPests

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

How certain are you that it isn't a small carpenter ant? Do pavement ants have similar mandibles that can kind of be seen above?

Definitely Tetramorium. No Carpender ants (Camponotus) get that small, plus they are in a completely different family (Formicidae) while Tetramorium belong to the Myrmicinae family.  

-Camponotus sansabeanus

-Camponotus US-CA02

-Camponotus vicinus

-Formica podzolica

-Monomorium spp.

-Solenopsis spp. 

#7 Offline KadinB - Posted August 31 2021 - 4:43 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Definitely Tetramorium. No Carpender ants (Camponotus) get that small, plus they are in a completely different family (Formicidae) while Tetramorium belong to the Myrmicinae family.  

agreed

#8 Offline GeologyRocks - Posted August 31 2021 - 6:46 PM

GeologyRocks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Can you help me understand the identifying differences between Formicidae and Myrmicinae?

#9 Offline PetsNotPests - Posted September 1 2021 - 5:38 AM

PetsNotPests

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Can you help me understand the identifying differences between Formicidae and Myrmicinae?

Ants within the Myrmicinae family Is easily distinguished by their dual petiole nodes, or the bumps on the line (the petiole) that connects their abdomen to their thorax. Ants within the Formicidae family bare only 1 of these nodes (sometimes even lacking the petiole in the first place), and spin cocoons during their life cycle. The ant in your picture has distinguishable petiole nodes, which leads me away from Camponotus (or any ant sp. residing within the Formicidae family for that matter.) The ant in your picture is most definitely Tetramorium, and a quick google image serach will prove me right. 

-Camponotus sansabeanus

-Camponotus US-CA02

-Camponotus vicinus

-Formica podzolica

-Monomorium spp.

-Solenopsis spp. 

#10 Offline GeologyRocks - Posted September 1 2021 - 12:38 PM

GeologyRocks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Ants within the Myrmicinae family Is easily distinguished by their dual petiole nodes, or the bumps on the line (the petiole) that connects their abdomen to their thorax. Ants within the Formicidae family bare only 1 of these nodes (sometimes even lacking the petiole in the first place), and spin cocoons during their life cycle. The ant in your picture has distinguishable petiole nodes, which leads me away from Camponotus (or any ant sp. residing within the Formicidae family for that matter.) The ant in your picture is most definitely Tetramorium, and a quick google image serach will prove me right. 

Thank you, very helpful.

Found this guy in the attic above where I caught the  ant shown in the original post.

IMG_4648.jpeg

Edited by GeologyRocks, September 1 2021 - 12:39 PM.

#11 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted September 1 2021 - 12:46 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
The new ant is a Camponotus major. I’m going to guess C. pennsylvanicus.

#12 Offline PetsNotPests - Posted September 1 2021 - 2:42 PM

PetsNotPests

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Yes, C. penncylvanicus. Notice how the petiole is much less pronounced than the Tetramorium worker. 

-Camponotus sansabeanus

-Camponotus US-CA02

-Camponotus vicinus

-Formica podzolica

-Monomorium spp.

-Solenopsis spp. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users