• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Felix's Carebara Diversa

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FelixTheAnter - Posted May 13 2023 - 5:49 AM

FelixTheAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
My parents sent me some money on my birthday, and I figured...you know what, let's go a little crazy. And I got myself what is a dream species for many ant keepers... Carebara Diversa. The size of the queen is INSANE, and larger colonies can end up with supermajors almost as large as she is.

The workers are said to have very short life spans, and the colony didn't arrive with brood beyond a few eggs. So I'm hoping they live long enough to raise the next generation of workers.

How they arrived...all healthy, no casualties:
VideoCapture_20230510-100438.jpg

The species is apparently quite sensitive, especially younger colonies, and do best in a dirt setup. As much as I wanted to put them in a nest where I can see them, I figured it's best to keep them in dirt to raise the chance of success. At least for now, while the colony is young.

I started them off in a very large glass jar, about half filled with garden topsoil (a mix of black peat + compost) mixed with some sand. Pretty much immediately when I put their test tube into the jar, they started moving in. I had used a chopstick to make a starter hole against the glass, to encourage them to move in there. And it worked! They've built their main chamber against the glass.
20230505_155840.jpg

Here they are, starting to explore the new nest:
VideoCapture_20230510-095803.jpg

The queen preparing to exit the tube:
VideoCapture_20230510-095859.jpg

Following the arched trail down to the new dirt nest:
VideoCapture_20230510-095926.jpg

That was just over a week ago, and since they've settled in, I started to worry the queen was dead. I could only see her gaster, and it seemed like she never moved even the tiniest bit. I also saw no brood when I looked in.

The only view I can get on the queen:

VideoCapture_20230513-152303.jpg

But today when I peeked in...I saw a pile of eggs! And she moved just a tiny bit. So it seems all is well.
VideoCapture_20230513-152324.jpg

Fingers crossed I have success with these guys. I will be delighted if & when they need to be moved from this jar to a proper aquarium.
  • Barristan, antsinvirgina and Ernteameise like this

#2 Offline Ernteameise - Posted May 13 2023 - 6:15 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationGermany
Wow, this is exciting!
What an interesting species to keep.
Best of luck and looking forward to updates!

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 13 2023 - 10:16 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Impressive ants! Consider yourself lucky.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users