• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Newbie about Myrmecocystus mimicus!

myrmecocystus mimicus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline abcda2254321 - Posted August 29 2021 - 7:08 PM

abcda2254321

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hello guys!

Last month, A friend of my got a few mimicus and sent to me. So I just got two myrmecocystus mimicus!

I have searched for some info here and still got some questions... I really appreciate your helps!

1. I saw that the beginning temperature should be set to 26 to 27℃. after that, when there are some workers, the temperature should be higher. is this right?

2. Is it ok for me to raise it within a box and put some sands in it. Also keep the tube open without cotton? Or should I plug the cotton? 

like this

IMG_3099.png  

3. The frequency of giving them food is about once/two weeks ?

I have kept lots of ants species but never kept this kind before! Many thanks

Edited by abcda2254321, August 29 2021 - 7:11 PM.

• AntsLA-1 likes this

#2 Offline PetsNotPests - Posted August 30 2021 - 6:37 AM

PetsNotPests

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • LocationSouthern LA County, California

Are they single queens? If so, they should be put in a dark, undisturbed place for 2-3 weeks at a time. They don't require any food during the founding stage. I keep this species at 84 degrees F. 

Edited by PetsNotPests, August 30 2021 - 6:37 AM.

• abcda2254321 likes this

Ants are Pets, not Pests. 

-Camponotus sansabeanus

-Camponotus US-CA02

-Camponotus vicinus

-Formica podzolica

-Monomorium spp.

-Pogonomyrmex californicus

-Solenopsis spp. 

#3 Offline abcda2254321 - Posted August 31 2021 - 1:10 AM

abcda2254321

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Are they single queens? If so, they should be put in a dark, undisturbed place for 2-3 weeks at a time. They don't require any food during the founding stage. I keep this species at 84 degrees F. 

Thank you !! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: myrmecocystus mimicus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users