• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant control via other ants?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Twenty-Four - Posted August 12 2021 - 9:13 PM

Twenty-Four

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I've had something of an ant problem on my property lately, they're starting to enter the house (occasionally) and poison bait hasn't helped much. Some days ago, I noticed some of the bigger ones were carrying eggs or larvae around on my sidewalk, presumably spoils of a raid on another colony, and it got me wondering - would it be possible to displace the population with one that's less likely to enter homes? I live on the southern end of Vancouver Island, Canada, near Victoria, and obviously I don't want to introduce anything invasive. My first thought was leafcutter ants since there's a lot of leafy bushes here but as far as I can tell there aren't any that live this far north. Any ideas?

#2 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted August 12 2021 - 9:19 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

I think the problem would be the ants that are good at displacing other ants are also really into coming in houses. I would just learn to live with the ants.

#3 Offline Twenty-Four - Posted August 12 2021 - 9:53 PM

Twenty-Four

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Why so? I don't see any particular reason the two would be mutually inclusive.

As far as learning to live with the ants goes - I already have long ago :D poison bait and other traps aren't a cure-all but they do help. I just think it would be ideal to replace them with a less bothersome species... it'd be a self-sustaining solution, perhaps even self-proliferating. Of course the question is if a suitable candidate even exists, not just in general, but for my specific region, too. That, I don't know the answer to. Maybe I should start by getting them ID'd?

EDIT: Plus, it feels just a tiny little bit rude to poison them every summer :lol:

Edited by Twenty-Four, August 12 2021 - 9:59 PM.

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 13 2021 - 2:28 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Start with an ID of your target species. Then seal all external entry points. Poison baits are mostly sugar based, but at some points certain colonies may be more keen on gathering protein. I believe there are protein based gel baits available.
It sounds like you saw a slave raiding Formica species outside. Those will not accomplish what you’re envisioning.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline Twenty-Four - Posted August 13 2021 - 1:47 PM

Twenty-Four

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Start with an ID of your target species. Then seal all external entry points. Poison baits are mostly sugar based, but at some points certain colonies may be more keen on gathering protein. I believe there are protein based gel baits available.
It sounds like you saw a slave raiding Formica species outside. Those will not accomplish what you’re envisioning.

NickAnter was able to ID the ants for me.

Ant 1: Fusca group Formica.

Ant 2: Tetramorium immigrans.

Ant 3: Myrmica sp.

Ant 4: Formica, maybe in the neogagates group.

I have been using several types of bait traps over the years in combination with eachother  :) One type I'm using now uses peanut butter, so should provide both sugar and protein. They do work to suppress the population and reduce risk of ingress so perhaps I've accidentally made the problem seem more dire than it is? Apologies if so. As far as sealing entry points that's exactly what I do. However this is an old house, and I've seen them entering on the inside of the house in places they shouldn't be able to. No doubt there's some small structural flaws by now that would be impossible to spot and seal without fully restoring the whole building. My air conditioner, additionally, is a window unit, and does not seal perfectly, despite my best efforts - nature of the beast. Nothing I can do about that in the height of summer :D

Is there anywhere or anyone in particular I should take my questions to?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users