• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

JamesJohnson's Timid Temnothorax

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted September 4 2021 - 1:11 PM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

After a fairly unsuccessful anting summer (queens caught that founded: 0), I decided to bite the bullet and buy some queens. Received them a couple weeks ago. They had varying levels of brood, with a pair of two even having nanitics. But after combining them into one test tube, they were largely moved back to square one.

topview.jpg sideview1.jpg sideview2.jpg

A microscope shot of one the deceased nanitics:

microscope.jpg

Just wondering, how many segments do you count for this antennae? I count 11.antenae.jpg

Edited by JamesJohnson, September 4 2021 - 1:32 PM.

• Antkeeper01 and PetsNotPests like this

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 4 2021 - 1:14 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Nice! I'm bummed the ones that look just like this that I collected in the sierras are infertile.

• JamesJohnson likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted September 29 2021 - 12:51 PM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

I'm having some trouble with these gals. Their big larvae has stopped developing over a month ago, refusing the pupate, and one by one every few weeks one seems to separate from the broodpile and eventually die off. Perhaps they need to hibernate before they'll continue developing their brood pile? I'm stuck on what needs to be done.

Edited by JamesJohnson, September 29 2021 - 12:53 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#4 Offline DaAnt - Posted September 29 2021 - 2:34 PM

DaAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

I heard that larvae are the only type of brood that can survive hibernation so you might be right.

Edited by DaAnt, September 29 2021 - 2:37 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users