• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New ant keeper AZ

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ConnerAz - Posted August 5 2021 - 8:38 AM

ConnerAz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
How’s it going, my names Conner and I live in San tan valley. I recently started getting really into ants, but have been an entomology and herpetology nerd my whole life. I really want to start a small colony of local Camponotus, and I see plenty of colonies, but finding a queen is always hard for me. What am I doing wrong? Or does anyone have any small colonies started they wouldn’t mind parting with? Thanks for the add!
  • TestSubjectOne, Antkeeper01 and zA-Z0-9 like this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 5 2021 - 8:52 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Welcome! You live in the best place for ants in the country. If you reach out to CheetoLord, he’ll help you out.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline TestSubjectOne - Posted August 5 2021 - 9:33 AM

TestSubjectOne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Here's a shop selling Camponotus in Arizona:

https://www.formicul...notus-colonies/

The same seller is also selling colonies of the fungus grower Acromyrmex versicolor for cheap. They're a hard species to care for and need specialized habitats, but if you do a good amount of research and prepare properly you should be able to care for them. I wouldn't normally recommend this species to a beginner but at that price they're quite a deal so if you're willing to put in the effort I would say go for it.

https://www.formicul...orkers-arizona/

As for catching queens, it's about being in the right place at the right time. People will use weather trackers to find parts of the desert that have recently had rain, and if it's flying season there's a good chance of queens. Other species will fly without rain and in that case it's more of a gamble. Blacklights are devices that you can use to attract flying insects at night including queens. If you put the time and money into getting one you will be able to catch boatlads of queens on the right nights. That being said I have personally bought all of my ants from others as queens / small colonies rather than going out anting and don't regret it. It saves a lot of time and unless you want dozens or hundreds of queens you're likely saving money as well.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

TestSubjectOne's Experiences in Antkeeping General Journal

Currently Keeping:

- Veromessor pergandei (1 queen, 600 workers)

- Novomessor cockerelli (1 queen, 200 workers)

- Myrmecocystus mexicanus (1 queen, 100 workers)

- Brachymyrmex patagonicus (3 queens?, 2,000 workers? & alates)

- Crematogaster sp. (1 queen, 600 workers)

- Liometopum occidentale (1 queen, 800 workers)

- Camponotus absqualator (1 queen, 130 workers)

#4 Offline zA-Z0-9 - Posted August 5 2021 - 9:58 PM

zA-Z0-9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Locationraymondville mo

welcome  :D

I LOVE ANTS!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users