• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ReignofRage's Myrmecocystus spp. Journal (Update 22 Feb) Murder!

#myrmecocystus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ReignofRage - Posted August 3 2021 - 7:55 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • LocationCalif.

ReignofRage's Myrmecocystus spp. Journal

Here you will find all the Myrmecocystus I keep, questions and comments are very welcomed and I will try to respond to the best of my ability.

Current Species List:

Myrmecocystus sp. cf. flaviceps (pleometrotic)

Myrmecocystus placodops-03

Past Species:

Myrmecocystus colei
Myrmecocystus creightoni
Myrmecocystus sp. cf depilis
Myrmecocystus ewarti
Myrmecocystus flaviceps
Myrmecocystus sp. cf flaviceps
Myrmecocystus kathjuli
Myrmecocystus kennedyi
Myrmecocystus lugubris
Myrmecocystus mexicanus-02
Myrmecocystus navajo
Myrmecocystus placodops-01
Myrmecocystus placodops-02
Myrmecocystus romainei
Myrmecocystus sp. cf kennedyi-romainei
Myrmecocystus semirufus
Myrmecocystus tenuinodis
Myrmecocystus testaceus
Myrmecocystus sp. "testaceax"
Myrmecocystus wheeleri
Myrmecocystus yuma
Myrmecocystus spp. (9+)

Just to prevent confusion - I started this journal in 2021, but forgot about it and it only had two one-sentence updates. I edited these two posts to the current species since the old ones would make no sense.

Edited by ReignofRage, March 30 2024 - 7:25 PM.

• Antkeeper01 and futurebird like this

#2 Offline ReignofRage - Posted August 4 2021 - 4:31 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Update 1

med_gallery_5829_2219_3669115.jpg

Myrmecocystus sp. cf. flaviceps (polygynous). This is a picture from when I tubed all of the queens from the trip. I collected these queens back in 2023. All of the queens were digging in groups and were kept within their groups. What was interesting is that I came to discover that all of the groups had started out as single queens digging chambers by themelves and eventually groups together. This differs from the recorded habits of M. mimicus in Arizona where queens run around and form groups. It was not uncommon for 2 or more chambers in a line to be empty all for the last chamber in the line to have multiple queens. The largest group collected was a six-queen chamber, one of which is an alate. This group is the one in the image above. This species is a rather distinct and obviously undescribed species most akin to M. flaviceps.

Edited by ReignofRage, February 12 2024 - 2:52 AM.

#3 Offline ReignofRage - Posted August 6 2021 - 12:19 AM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Update 2

Myrmecocystus sp. cf. flaviceps (polygynous). All colonies have workers and large quantities of brood. I have been feeding proteins and sugars in the test tubes. Sooner than later I need to move them into formicaria.

med_gallery_5829_2219_47624.jpg

med_gallery_5829_2219_5768532.jpg

med_gallery_5829_2219_286129.jpg

med_gallery_5829_2219_2782494.jpg

med_gallery_5829_2219_4180465.jpg

Myrmecocystus placodops-03. This is a queen of what is known as "M. placodops-03." It is one of two undescribed species currently under M. placodops. It is under my opinion that some prior M. semirufus records are of this species as well, which makes sense considering that this is a sister species to M. semirufus

Edited by ReignofRage, February 12 2024 - 3:04 AM.

• futurebird likes this

#4 Offline Jonathan5608 - Posted July 19 2023 - 5:10 AM

Jonathan5608

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York
Update?

#5 Offline ReignofRage - Posted February 12 2024 - 3:10 AM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Update 12 Feb. 2024

Myrmecocystus sp. cf. flaviceps (polygynous). A few of these colonies are a little less polygynous as they once were. A few colonies have decided to kill off a single queen each. One of the colonies that decided to do this is the formerly sex-queen colony, now a five-queen colony. This was unfortunately expected, since M. mimicus is known to kill off queens over time - I had just hoped the colonies would have went on more than a year before killing off queens.

Myrmecocystus placodops-03. These have been doing well with steady growth.

#6 Offline ReignofRage - Posted February 22 2024 - 8:41 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Update 22 Feb 2024

med_gallery_5829_2219_630907.jpg

Myrmecocystus sp. cf flaviceps (pleometrotic). After a recent check, many of the colonies decided it was best to cull nearly all of their queens, leaving many colonies with one queen. There is only a couple of colonies that still have more than one queen. A couple of colonies also decided to make a singular male each. I guess I don't have to feed them protein this week, :lol:. Aside from that unfortunate event, all of the colonies continue to have steady growth. For anyone who doubts that the queen were found together, above is a picture I took while collecting. The gasters of two queens can be seen at the entrance of a founding chamber. Deeper in the chamber was another queen.

Myrmecocystus placodops-03. Not much can be said aside from steady growth.

• B_rad0806 and bmb1bee like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #myrmecocystus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users