• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Anyone else hate wasps/hornets?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Offline GreekAnts - Posted August 2 2021 - 11:21 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

I love ants, I really like bees but wasps and hornets... oh boy, I hate them so much! ,I made this topic because I just wanted to know if anyone else here hate wasps/hornets, or its just me?
Yes, I know they are important for the environment but this little f... are so annoying and they sting you for no reason, so aggresive, I hate them! ,literally they are my arch nemesis!
Anyway I really wanted to make this topic for a reason, if anyone want ,you can say anything you want even try to explain me why someone would like this little beasts..

• Antkeeper01 and TacticalHandleGaming like this

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 2 2021 - 11:39 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Yes.

• Somethinghmm and GreekAnts like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 2 2021 - 11:40 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Thing is, you can hate ants for the exact same reason you could hate wasps. I don’t hate them as to me wasps are basically flying ants, and I like ants.
  • Antkeeper01, GreekAnts and antsinvirgina like this

#4 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted August 2 2021 - 11:57 AM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Vespula (yellow jackets) are the only wasps I find deserving of hate. They're the aggressive ones that give the rest of wasps a bad reputation. And even they aren't too bad. It's pretty interesting to watch them explore, from a distance at least.

• GreekAnts likes this

#5 Offline GreekAnts - Posted August 2 2021 - 12:06 PM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Thing is, you can hate ants for the exact same reason you could hate wasps. I don’t hate them as to me wasps are basically flying ants, and I like ants.

Fair point, I just feel like wasp stings are worse than most ant stings and the thing that they fly around makes it even worse because they can sting you and attack you while flying.. 

• Kaelwizard likes this

#6 Offline GreekAnts - Posted August 2 2021 - 12:19 PM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Vespula (yellow jackets) are the only wasps I find deserving of hate. They're the aggressive ones that give the rest of wasps a bad reputation. And even they aren't too bad. It's pretty interesting to watch them explore, from a distance at least.

Yes, this is the worst species for me, they was everywhere on my grandpas house when I was going for vacation there and they kept sting me all the time, when we was about to eat dinner a lot of times they flew into my food and annoy me..
My grandpa and sometimes my father too kept destroy their nests so they flew everywhere, angry stinging everyone walking by, the strange thing is there was so many of them that the next days or week they had already make a new nests in the same spots..
There was a lot of giant asian hornets too and oh boy I was terrifying of them, just looking at them gave me chills.. but I have to say that this ones was not aggresive to us so I guess only if you mess with them they will sting you,
fortunately they have never stung me before and I hope they will never will...  btw I know that the reason of the yellow jackets being aggressive in our house is the destraction of their nest but I can say I have been stung a lot of times on other places by them and other wasps for no reason!

edit: I just searched for hornets on the internet and I saw that giant asian hornets are not present on europe so I guess it was another similar species, I just mention them because they looked similar and they was big.

Edited by GreekAnts, August 2 2021 - 12:26 PM.

#7 Offline cap_backfire - Posted August 2 2021 - 12:27 PM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

I can't stand wasps.   One of the two bugs I can't condone in my yard.   Those and earwigs and at least I can give earwigs to my ants.   Having centipedes IN my house is also a huge no-no.   I REALIZE they eat other pest bugs but... Too fast and creepy.   

• AntsMaryland and GreekAnts like this

#8 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted August 2 2021 - 1:29 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

I miss my pet wasps... :(

• GreekAnts likes this

#9 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted August 2 2021 - 4:19 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Me like wasp. Wasps are basically flying ants to me. And honestly, even the aggressive wasps are just attacking outta self defence so ya can't blame 'em. And tbh, i like all arthropods except mosquitos... THOSE DAMN LITTLE BLOODSUCKERS NEVR LEAVE ME ALONE HAHUHSJAJDUDOIjJKSJA

• Kaelwizard, antgallery and GreekAnts like this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#10 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 2 2021 - 5:40 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Wasps are great, especially polistes paper wasps. They only get aggressive late in the season when they have their reproductive brood, and even then they’re only defending their nest and more importantly the next generation of new queens and males. The wasps that randomly attack people during late summer and early fall are usually starving and are desperately looking for food, as their larvae (their main food source) have all pupated for the season. This is made worse by the fact that the wasps often get drunk off of fermented fruit or alcohol and that humans often leave out lots of food.
  • Kaelwizard and GreekAnts like this

#11 Offline DaAnt - Posted August 2 2021 - 5:40 PM

DaAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Yeah I hate mosquitos, they are so annoying.

Edited by DaAnt, August 2 2021 - 5:42 PM.

• GreekAnts likes this

#12 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 2 2021 - 6:02 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Wasps are great, especially polistes paper wasps. They only get aggressive late in the season when they have their reproductive brood, and even then they’re only defending their nest and more importantly the next generation of new queens and males. The wasps that randomly attack people during late summer and early fall are usually starving and are desperately looking for food, as their larvae (their main food source) have all pupated for the season. This is made worse by the fact that the wasps often get drunk off of fermented fruit or alcohol and that humans often leave out lots of food.

Polistes are pretty neat, but my favorite eusocial wasps are probably Dolichovespula maculata. The white and black coloration is pretty cool to me. I read that they are extremely aggressive but the ones I have been around have been some of the most chill wasps. I have to say that my favorite wasps of all time are probably those in the Ichneumonidae family.

• TestSubjectOne likes this

#13 Offline SYUTEO - Posted August 2 2021 - 7:20 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I'm used to seeing bees and wasps come to my house already. And I've seen Vespa tropica come to my house to (possibly) find food or make a nest and what makes it scary is that they are known in Malaysia as 'tiger wasps' because they are extremely aggressive and have a very painful sting (just a few days ago I heard from my dad that a child was stung to death a few days ago by just one of these hornets (they are true hornets) !!). And that doesn't mean I hate them. Though I don't see them anymore but a different wasp species came to my house almost everyday (it didn't try to attack me). And I've even saw a leafcutter bee making a nest in a hose keel in my house!

Edited by SYUTEO, August 2 2021 - 7:22 PM.

• GreekAnts likes this

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#14 Offline SYUTEO - Posted August 2 2021 - 7:24 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Yes, this is the worst species for me, they was everywhere on my grandpas house when I was going for vacation there and they kept sting me all the time, when we was about to eat dinner a lot of times they flew into my food and annoy me..
My grandpa and sometimes my father too kept destroy their nests so they flew everywhere, angry stinging everyone walking by, the strange thing is there was so many of them that the next days or week they had already make a new nests in the same spots..
There was a lot of giant asian hornets too and oh boy I was terrifying of them, just looking at them gave me chills.. but I have to say that this ones was not aggresive to us so I guess only if you mess with them they will sting you,
fortunately they have never stung me before and I hope they will never will...  btw I know that the reason of the yellow jackets being aggressive in our house is the destraction of their nest but I can say I have been stung a lot of times on other places by them and other wasps for no reason!

edit: I just searched for hornets on the internet and I saw that giant asian hornets are not present on europe so I guess it was another similar species, I just mention them because they looked similar and they was big.

Could it be Vespa crabro (European hornet)?

• GreekAnts likes this

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#15 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted August 2 2021 - 8:41 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Wasps are awesome! They have so much personality and honestly I think they look really cool, especially the sp of Polistes that are magenta

• GreekAnts likes this

My YouTube channel :)

#16 Offline GreekAnts - Posted August 3 2021 - 1:06 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Could it be Vespa crabro (European hornet)?

Yes, I forgot to mention them, they looked kinda similar but they are kinda smaller than the giant asian one but they are still big

#17 Offline GreekAnts - Posted August 3 2021 - 1:07 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

That makes sense, thanks for the info

#18 Offline 11.11.00 - Posted August 3 2021 - 9:14 AM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Indifferent to yellow jackets because they don't hurt that much for me. I'd put a Pogonomyrmex sting over a yellow jacket sting personally. I'd say the ants i've stung by were worse than wasps especially considering the size difference. 

• GreekAnts likes this

#19 Offline GreekAnts - Posted August 3 2021 - 11:01 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Indifferent to yellow jackets because they don't hurt that much for me. I'd put a Pogonomyrmex sting over a yellow jacket sting personally. I'd say the ants i've stung by were worse than wasps especially considering the size difference. 

I know some ants are worse in terms of sting but in my country idk any species of ant that sting like a wasp or worse that's why I said that

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#20 Offline zA-Z0-9 - Posted August 3 2021 - 4:59 PM

zA-Z0-9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Locationraymondville mo

i got stung in the head yesterday

• Antkeeper01 likes this

I LOVE ANTS!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic