• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The emotional roller coaster of antkeeping

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline futurebird - Posted July 25 2021 - 6:58 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

When I started to get into antkeeping might have described the hobby as: educational, curious, creative, dynamic... but one word I would not have used is: emotionally taxing. 

But ants are pets, so of course you get attached to them. And they are so fragile and easy to harm. And even more than with a larger animal you control their world so much, it's mostly on you. (ants also die for no apparent reason, as insects. )

Anyway... I'm in a minor funk because I knocked my lasius colony over, killed like 20 out of about 150 workers, freaked them out, and just was a general monster. 

I feel the way I did when I accidentally kicked my dog or stepped on the cat's tail by mistake. 

I hope they are OK. 

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#2 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted July 25 2021 - 9:46 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I completely understand what you're feeling. When I started on Formiculture, I was rather young (not little, but immature to say the least) and I made a lot of mistakes with ant keeping. In fact, I still do!

I accidentally killed my Lasius colonies, made a DIY nest with a terrible hydration system, my Camponotus queens wrapped their cocoons in cotton ball thread so that the workers were unable to eclose, AND my most successful colony (Tetramorium), the queen mysteriously died; whether that was my fault or just nature, I don't know. That all happened in my first year, and I continued to make more mistakes as I went on.

BUT, I learned so much about it all. I would fail one year with a species, do a ton more research, and succeed the next year (or just fail less). I know ant keeping can be an emotional rollercoaster and it is certainly much easier to kill your colonies than you would think going into it. But I always remind myself: I have my entire life to get this right! Besides, if everything went perfect, how fun would this hobby actually be...? Looking back, all of my failures (and current ones) have led me to know more about ants and forced me to do my research – a discipline that doesn't always come naturally; it certainly didn't for me.

So I get that you're frustrated, but stick with it! You'll look back at anything you may deem as mistakes and frustrating, but it will only make the times you succeed more rewarding! Hopefully this helps... and sorry for sounding rather cliche lol.

Edited by AntsMaryland, July 25 2021 - 9:47 AM.

• ConcordAntman and Antkeeper01 like this

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#3 Online ANTdrew - Posted July 25 2021 - 2:24 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Common sense. Common sense; it ain’t that common. Keep ants very warm, hydrated and pumped full of protein, and you’ll be fine. Be very vigilant, without meddling. That’s the golden rule! Ants will thrive if you let them….
  • ConcordAntman, TestSubjectOne, Antkeeper01 and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted July 25 2021 - 2:39 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

I turned 69 yesterday and have been interested in ants since I was a kid. After some abortive attempts, it wasn’t until I retired 4 years ago that I had the time and bandwidth to successfully manage keeping colonies. I obsess and worry about my charges with their inexplicable ups and downs. We get it because we’ve all been there. It’s painful when they die but such a joy when they flourish. Hang in there!

• Antkeeper01 and futurebird like this

#5 Offline KadinB - Posted July 25 2021 - 5:01 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

I turned 69 yesterday and have been interested in ants since I was a kid. After some abortive attempts, it wasn’t until I retired 4 years ago that I had the time and bandwidth to successfully manage keeping colonies. I obsess and worry about my charges with their inexplicable ups and downs. We get it because we’ve all been there. It’s painful when they die but such a joy when they flourish. Hang in there!

happy late birth day! Mine was on the 21st so very close birthdays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • ConcordAntman likes this

#6 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted July 25 2021 - 5:51 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Thanks friend!

• KadinB likes this

#7 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 26 2021 - 10:08 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
No worries. I failed countless times. (Mostly with really rare sp that have little research on em). My 1 year old nylanderia colony has sadly passed away randomly just last month. But antkeeping is just trial and error, and so you should never give up!

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#8 Offline futurebird - Posted July 26 2021 - 11:00 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

My lasius colony is doing fine again! The queen has a new pile of eggs even after being herded around with a spoon after the enclosure broke.

Thank god for aspirators. 

I think they will bounce back... but they remain jittery. 

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users