• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Barrier crafting

barrier talc

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Max_Connor - Posted July 24 2021 - 10:33 PM

Max_Connor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Hi!

I need some info on how to make a talc anti-escape barrier - in what ratio should I mix talc and alcohol?

How long will this barrier stay when applied? And what ant species it is useful/useless for?

#2 Offline Roy3 - Posted July 30 2021 - 1:14 AM

Roy3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
No one answered your question yet. Well to try it is easy. Mix it to where it looks like melted ice cream thickness. And just apply it to the top of the container. Let it dry up and it does its job. Alcohol dries fast. When u need to reapply a new coat, just wipe it up with more alcohol on a cotton ball and apply a new batch. The ants will stay away from it when they feel the fumes. Then they can't cross the thick dried powder. Some ants like fire ants will defeat the baby powder barrier, and I can attest to crematogasters also, I've tried it and it doesn't last to long for them. So basically small species ants have a keen way of defeating it within time. Just keep an eye on them. And have a second means of defense from escape if you can.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
  • cap_backfire likes this

#3 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 30 2021 - 2:03 PM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

I thought of mixing a little bit of cinnamon into the baby powder to try and ward them off as well... Apparently ant's don't like the smell?   Or is that something that would be kind of cruel to them as they are in such close quarters?   I've been trying to think of scent barriers but they are in such a confined space I didn't want to make them crazy with it.  

#4 Offline Max_Connor - Posted July 30 2021 - 7:09 PM

Max_Connor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

No one answered your question yet. Well to try it is easy. Mix it to where it looks like melted ice cream thickness. And just apply it to the top of the container. Let it dry up and it does its job. Alcohol dries fast. When u need to reapply a new coat, just wipe it up with more alcohol on a cotton ball and apply a new batch. The ants will stay away from it when they feel the fumes. Then they can't cross the thick dried powder. Some ants like fire ants will defeat the baby powder barrier, and I can attest to crematogasters also, I've tried it and it doesn't last to long for them. So basically small species ants have a keen way of defeating it within time. Just keep an eye on them. And have a second means of defense from escape if you can.

Ok, thank you!

#5 Offline Max_Connor - Posted July 30 2021 - 7:22 PM

Max_Connor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Apparently ant's don't like the smell?   Or is that something that would be kind of cruel to them as they are in such close quarters?

Have you tried bug spray? XD

#6 Offline Roy3 - Posted July 31 2021 - 8:41 AM

Roy3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
If you want a scent barrier, I'm not sure what would be good. I know peppermint oil is good at keeping spiders away. Once I used the oil and water mixture to see what it would do to outside ants and it didn't kill them. They just ran all around. But maybe it will keep them at bay. In think it would block pheromone trails, and may be harsh on their eyes. I have 2 colonies of crematogasters, and one can break through fluon in a matter of 2 weeks. And the other colony it can last 2 months. I tried the baby powder method on both and that didn't work for me.

#7 Offline Roy3 - Posted July 31 2021 - 8:43 AM

Roy3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
So what i do just in case they were to try and escape, I use some copy machine glass over the top of their enclosures. that's my second defense and never fails.

#8 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted July 31 2021 - 8:47 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I don't even bother with the alcohol part. I just take a cotton ball, pad it with talcum powder, and powder the sides of the container while the container is upside down. it works great for me.

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#9 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted August 2 2021 - 6:32 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

For 3 years I tried to go barrier-less and just use a lid on my outworlds. Feeding and cleaning my colonies went from being fun to anxiety provoking. I’ve become a huge fan of Fluon. No fuss, no mess, NO ESCAPEES! A little goes a long way!

• cap_backfire and TacticalHandleGaming like this

#10 Offline cap_backfire - Posted August 2 2021 - 8:51 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

I don't even bother with the alcohol part. I just take a cotton ball, pad it with talcum powder, and powder the sides of the container while the container is upside down. it works great for me.

how do  you replace the barrier routinely?  Turning it upside down after it's occupied seems dicey at best!   I'm genuinely curious, not challenging your methods  

#11 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 2 2021 - 3:26 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

For 3 years I tried to go barrier-less and just use a lid on my outworlds. Feeding and cleaning my colonies went from being fun to anxiety provoking. I’ve become a huge fan of Fluon. No fuss, no mess, NO ESCAPEES! A little goes a long way!

I use fluon and a lid. I’ve never used it with a large colony that is constantly trying to escape, but I have used it on small colonies and it worked fine.

Edited by Kaelwizard, August 2 2021 - 3:26 PM.

• cap_backfire likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: barrier, talc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users