• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help! Camponotus deaths at 10 workers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted September 3 2023 - 8:20 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

I have a Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony that had 10 workers. I checked yesterday and found a dead worker, checked again today and found another one. They have a few eggs, 2 small larvae and one cocoon.They are down to 8 workers now. Will these two deaths affect the colony a lot? Is this normal for Camponotus?

Thanks

Note: Last year I had a queen that was caught in the spring and reached up to 20-25 workers, a nice brood pile, and a few sub majors. They didn't have a single death (until the colony died from drowning). The queen I caught this year was a gift and was probably caught in May or June.

Edit: sorry bout all the additions, but thought id squeeze this question in: when should I put my colonies into hibernation? what temp should I keep them at? Finally, if I don't have a mini fridge, wheres a good place to keep them? Thanks again :D

Edited by azzaaazzzz00, September 3 2023 - 12:43 PM.

Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#2 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted September 3 2023 - 5:04 PM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Personally, I don't think the deaths will affect the colony much because they're getting babysat by us. They're on easy street. The queen should still be acting as a replete and she still has 8 workers to help her tend to the brood. Now, if it's in the wild, that might be a very different story. Hope you're giving her some protein on the side to recover from it.

The first workers (nanitics) are usually the weakest and have the shortest lifespan. So you said she was gifted to you, were they sent to you with just the two workers? Are you confident that they were caught in May / June of this year? One thought that comes to mind is if the Queen was caught last year, had two workers and hibernated with just them and continued this year. So those nanitics could just be older than you think. Camponotous nanitics have one of the longer lifespans, it is not uncommon for the early nanitics to live up to around a year, though in the wild they are known to have shorter lifespans of a couple of months. So it's not impossible though it sounds a bit on the shorter side. Different factors that can change the lifespan is temperature, abundance of food and individual timers.

I kinda doubt it's pesticides, but I'd continue to watch for what I feed, including new batches of untested honey and whatnot.

There's a guy in another forum noting that he saw his ant try to climb up a vaseline barrier, fell down, and climb back up then later showed odd symptoms that his previous deceased nanitic showed.  https://forum.antsca...opic.php?t=1573

Lifespan of your Species in Discussion: https://forum.antsca...php?f=42&t=3677

Hibernation: https://www.formicul...to-hibernation/

Edited by BleepingBleepers, September 3 2023 - 5:12 PM.

• azzaaazzzz00 likes this

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 4 2023 - 2:47 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You can hibernate the colony when they no longer have any pupae left. Besides a fridge, you could put them in a garage, unheated basement, or a shed. Let them gradually adjust to cooler temperatures.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted September 5 2023 - 8:23 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Personally, I don't think the deaths will affect the colony much because they're getting babysat by us. They're on easy street. The queen should still be acting as a replete and she still has 8 workers to help her tend to the brood. Now, if it's in the wild, that might be a very different story. Hope you're giving her some protein on the side to recover from it.

The first workers (nanitics) are usually the weakest and have the shortest lifespan. So you said she was gifted to you, were they sent to you with just the two workers? Are you confident that they were caught in May / June of this year? One thought that comes to mind is if the Queen was caught last year, had two workers and hibernated with just them and continued this year. So those nanitics could just be older than you think. Camponotous nanitics have one of the longer lifespans, it is not uncommon for the early nanitics to live up to around a year, though in the wild they are known to have shorter lifespans of a couple of months. So it's not impossible though it sounds a bit on the shorter side. Different factors that can change the lifespan is temperature, abundance of food and individual timers.

I kinda doubt it's pesticides, but I'd continue to watch for what I feed, including new batches of untested honey and whatnot.

There's a guy in another forum noting that he saw his ant try to climb up a vaseline barrier, fell down, and climb back up then later showed odd symptoms that his previous deceased nanitic showed.  https://forum.antsca...opic.php?t=1573

Lifespan of your Species in Discussion: https://forum.antsca...php?f=42&t=3677

Hibernation: https://www.formicul...to-hibernation/

The queen gifted hadn't gotten any workers yet and only had 2 cocoons and a few larvae. Thanks for the info tho. I moved the colony to a new test tube because other one was getting moldy. Fortunatly, no deaths have occured since those two have died. One worker eclosed, so they are at 9 workers now.

You can hibernate the colony when they no longer have any pupae left. Besides a fridge, you could put them in a garage, unheated basement, or a shed. Let them gradually adjust to cooler temperatures.

Should I be worried about whether or not the water in the test tube will freeze?

Edited by azzaaazzzz00, September 5 2023 - 8:24 AM.

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#5 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted September 5 2023 - 11:59 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
Don't get them that cold just ~50

#6 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted September 5 2023 - 2:02 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

thanks, I have a fridge upstairs that we don't use often but I'm not sure my parents will let me use it. If not I might put them in the basement (Ill put a thermometer down there first to see how cold it'll get).

#7 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted September 5 2023 - 2:07 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

would it be okay if there are still eggs left?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users