• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus vagus queens died.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NikolaBale - Posted July 25 2021 - 4:03 AM

NikolaBale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Hey so i had two camponotus vagus colonies that where founded from this year's queens.
They seemed to he doing fine up until now.
I've been keeping them in a classic test tube set up.

So the problem is that the queens died.
Just the queens, and that just makes it even more of a mystery.

So I'm gonna try to describe how the acted and looked like before they died.

The first sign that i noticed is that the queens where unusually sluggish.
After a day or two this intensifies and now they have trouble walking, almost like their legs are softer or broken...
This kind of symptoms just keep getting worse until they just layed on their back and died.

If anyone know the cause of this it would be really helpful.

#2 Offline futurebird - Posted July 25 2021 - 6:50 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

That sucks. How big were the colonies? Were there eggs? How many workers?

What was the humidity like? I had a queen die from a fungus infection and it was kind of like that... but she never got a colony going. camponotus but not vagus. 

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#3 Offline NikolaBale - Posted July 25 2021 - 8:19 AM

NikolaBale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

That sucks. How big were the colonies? Were there eggs? How many workers?
What was the humidity like? I had a queen die from a fungus infection and it was kind of like that... but she never got a colony going. camponotus but not vagus.

About 30w each in the two colonies.
I don't know the exact humidity but was probably I'm the 60-70s as my room is 45-50%...And they where in a closed test tube.So maybe they where oversaturated.
Though a lot of people keeping vagus in test tubes and mostly they do fine.So if this species does poorly in test tubes it would probably be common knowledge.So idk.

Now that you mention a fungus infection i've been looking in to other reasons why they might have died.And i found one guy said his queen died from moldy sugar water.And now that i think about it my sugar water might have been compromised.I never really thought that sugar water could be get so bad that it would kill the ants.Maybe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users