• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Different kind of fishing.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Crystals - Posted November 23 2013 - 4:53 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

If you thought you got lots of stares while you were collecting ants, imagine the looks these people got.

I walk my dog when I look for ants.  So when I bend down to look at the ground, or pretend to pick something up, people don't notice anything out of the ordinary.  :D

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 23 2013 - 6:45 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Interesting way to save the ecosystem.

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted November 23 2013 - 6:51 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.  :)

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#4 Offline Michaelofvancouver - Posted November 24 2013 - 1:33 PM

Michaelofvancouver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Lol. It was really funny.

Are those carps invasive?

Here's my leopard gecko/ant youtube: https://goo.gl/cRAFbK

My ant website.

It contains a lot of information about ants, guides, videos, links, and more!

If you have any feedback, please post here or PM me, don't be shy!

I currently keep:

Camponotus modoc

Formica podzolica

#5 Offline Crystals - Posted November 25 2013 - 11:59 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

They are extremely invasive.

They are able to out-compete the native fish for food and have eliminated several species from certain areas.

They grow so fast that after a few months not many predators can eat them.

There is a massive electric "gate" on the cannal leading to the great lakes - if they get in there they will cause billions of dollars in damage.

Want a weird fact?  In their native home, they don't jump like that.  The original stock must have been skittish and the trait stuck.

My Colonies

#6 Offline Michaelofvancouver - Posted November 25 2013 - 3:51 PM

Michaelofvancouver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationVancouver

They are extremely invasive.

They are able to out-compete the native fish for food and have eliminated several species from certain areas.

They grow so fast that after a few months not many predators can eat them.

There is a massive electric "gate" on the cannal leading to the great lakes - if they get in there they will cause billions of dollars in damage.

Want a weird fact?  In their native home, they don't jump like that.  The original stock must have been skittish and the trait stuck.

Ok. I watched a documentary about this species. I'm hoping the electric field works, because if they get into the great lakes, they'll out-compete my favorite fish, the sturgeon.

Here's my leopard gecko/ant youtube: https://goo.gl/cRAFbK

My ant website.

It contains a lot of information about ants, guides, videos, links, and more!

If you have any feedback, please post here or PM me, don't be shy!

I currently keep:

Camponotus modoc

Formica podzolica

#7 Offline Mercutia - Posted December 14 2013 - 4:01 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

OMNOMNOM, sturgeon caviar. Too bad carp isn't good eating. They taste too muddy. BLEH. Otherwise I would lament the loss of lots of good fish meat.

Honestly, I was waiting for one of the guys to stab himself in the face with the pitchfork. Damn that looks freakishly dangerous. D:

#8 Offline Crystals - Posted December 16 2013 - 7:02 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

OMNOMNOM, sturgeon caviar. Too bad carp isn't good eating. They taste too muddy. BLEH. Otherwise I would lament the loss of lots of good fish meat.

Honestly, I was waiting for one of the guys to stab himself in the face with the pitchfork. Damn that looks freakishly dangerous. D:

This species of carp eats algae, unlike many other carp species which are bottom feeders.  Its meat is white and is supposedly delicious.  The biggest problem is that they have tons of bones - and that North Americans seem to hate bones.  :D 

I couldn't believe that they didn't injure themselves...  I figured that the guy in the garbage can would at least snag his arm on one of those hooks.

My Colonies

#9 Offline Mercutia - Posted December 18 2013 - 11:40 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Then I shall lament the loss of good fish meat D:

Could be making fish soup!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users