• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pogonomyrmex fun

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Floridaantz1000 - Posted March 12 2022 - 8:06 AM

Floridaantz1000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationCrestview Florida
My pogonomyrmex queen decided to move to the other side of her container. All of my Pogonomyrmex were making a big fuss about the move, but My queen was acting a bit lazy, she kept stopping and the workers had to help her move. In the end the workers brought the queen to the new spot and then they all started bundling on top of her and cleaning her. It was fun to see because most of the time I miss it when they move.
  • m99 likes this

#2 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 12 2022 - 3:01 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Yes, queens tend to be quite stubborn, and workers have to drag her where they want her to go. It just goes to show how the collective mind is in charge of the colony, not the queen.

Edited by AntsDakota, March 12 2022 - 3:01 PM.

• Chickalo likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#3 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 12 2022 - 6:39 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

I mean I get the laziness of a queen, I mean draging a butt that's 5 times bigger than your head is probably pretty tiring lol :lol:

Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 12 2022 - 8:26 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I mean I get the laziness of a queen, I mean draging a butt that's 5 times bigger than your head is probably pretty tiring lol :lol:

Well, for an ant which is built to lift many more times its weight than that, probably not, considering the things ants lift and drag when foraging in the wild.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users