• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cheeto's Pheidole rhea (Updated 4/21)

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted July 22 2021 - 3:29 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

The queen looks like a C. diversa queen tbh. Good luck!! I have only found 1 of the many Pheidole in Malaysia.

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk
The queen looks like a C. diversa queen tbh. Good luck!! I have only found 1 of the many Pheidole in Malaysia.

Idts, Carebara Diversa queens' are larger and the petiole looks much different.Its much more thin for C.Diversa.
I meant like it looks similar.

yeah coloration and size is kinda similar

• ANTS_KL and AntBoi3030 like this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#22 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 22 2021 - 4:20 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’m still triggered.
  • AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02 and 6 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#23 Offline antsandmore - Posted July 22 2021 - 8:16 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

I’m still triggered.

you should be glad that we can read a journal about pheidole rhea...

although I am also jealous

• TennesseeAnts, Kaelwizard and Antkeeper01 like this

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#24 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted July 26 2021 - 12:46 PM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts [USA]
The size of the pilifera worker in comparison to rhea is hilarious. Keep in mind pilifera is a relatively large species in the grand scheme of pheidole.

Fingers crossed that she founds, my advice would be just to boost her with obtuspinosa, I wouldn’t risk her eating all her brood and then dying, as they are known to do.
  • TennesseeAnts and MinigunL5 like this

#25 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted July 26 2021 - 3:21 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

update cheeto? I NEED MORE!!!

Edited by Antkeeper01, July 26 2021 - 7:06 PM.

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

#26 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted July 27 2021 - 8:25 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

POPULAR

Good news and bad news. Mostly good news. I'll start with the bad, though.

Turns out trying to boost this queen with brood of a different species was really stupid. Even though I tried to remove it all, a few pieces were stuck in the tube, and after a few days grew some nasty yellow mold. I was forced to move the queen to a new tube, and in the process lost basically all her eggs. No bueno.

So, of course, I tried to offer some P. obtusospinosa brood. No good, the queen hated that too. So I knew what I had to do.

I got in my car and started the 2.5 hour drive (one way) to Mt. Lemmon where I caught this queen. I had to get some P. rhea brood, and this was the spot to do it.

Have you ever driven 5 hours just for a few dozen Pheidole brood? Well, I know I have. Thankfully I was successful in my endeavor, and returned home last night with around 40-50 P. rhea pupae. There were of course quite a few workers that I had to remove, although I left the callows, one minor and one really large major (not a supermajor) with the brood, and then offered it to the queen. Finally, she actually seemed to accept it, and the two callows have even been periodically grooming the queen. The queen is definitely still a little sketched out by the new friends she has, but doesn't seem even slightly aggressive towards them, and after spending all night together I even saw her this morning tending to some of the pupae.

IMG 20210726 231419204

So that's the good news. I don't want to speak too soon, but I'm really hopeful this brood boost will secure this queen's success, and with this number of workers should hopefully kickstart one hell of a colony. I've even got some huge majors right off the bat! Now just to wait for supermajors...

• Aaron567, AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts and 17 others like this

#27 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted July 27 2021 - 8:30 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

nice hope she does well if she doesnt i will be so mad at her

#28 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 27 2021 - 2:26 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Now that’s dedication! Well worth it, though.
  • CheetoLord02, MinigunL5, Antkeeper01 and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#29 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted July 28 2021 - 6:00 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

POPULAR

Update 7/28

After a good amount of the boosted brood had eclosed, I moved this colony into a Formisquarium. It seems pre-emptive, but I wasn't too keen on keeping and feeding the colony in a cramped test tube for very long.

IMG 20210727 193945463
IMG 20210727 194034529

They also have access to a small outworld for when they start to forage. One major already has, actually, although she didn't seem too keen on doing much other than checking out the space. She did seem to take interest in a chia seed that I had left in there, but I'm not sure if she took it back to the nest or not.

The queen is also laying at a decent rate again, and I've noticed probably 15 eggs tucked away in the brood pile. Her and all the workers are getting along great, which is awesome considering how unsure she was of them at first.

IMG 20210728 120229320

Also, bonus pic. Here's a major from the colony I stole brood from. Yes, a regular major, not a supermajor. Looks to be just shy of 9mm, which makes them larger than any other Pheidole major in the US. Did I mention they also have supermajors? The size of this species is just absurd.

IMG 20210727 140853015 HDR

• AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts, B_rad0806 and 9 others like this

#30 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 29 2021 - 3:06 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
I'm very envious

Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#31 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted July 29 2021 - 6:36 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

I'm very envious

and i want pheidole

• ANTS_KL likes this

#32 Offline anttics - Posted August 1 2021 - 11:48 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
You are raising the ant colony dream species in the American continent regarding Pheidole. I’m still shocked at how big they are.
  • CheetoLord02 likes this

#33 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted August 5 2021 - 2:34 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Since last update, all of the boosted brood has either eclosed or died. A surprising amount of it actually died, for whatever reason. Currently there's 9-10 minors and 2 majors. Not a ton, especially considering how much brood I got, but it's enough.

IMG 20210805 013344805

After everything that's happened the queen really doesn't seem bothered at all, and has continued to lay dozens, if not over 100 eggs. These queens are absolute machines when it comes to producing eggs for sure. Explains why their colonies are able to get so massive; well into the 6 digit range.

Also, since yesterday, the first eggs laid have started to hatch into larvae! I think including majors in the brood boost was good, since I've noticed them harvesting and processing seeds to feed to their larvae and queen, presumably. They also have a liquid feeder with sunburst that seems to be getting drained slowly, so I'd imagine they're at least using that occasionally.

The larvae are still super small, but I bet they'll end up growing pretty quick. The colony has also been much more active with foraging, so I can probably start powerfeeding them very soon.

IMG 20210805 151516242
IMG 20210805 151457135 HDR

• B_rad0806, DDD101DDD, Swirlysnowflake and 6 others like this

#34 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted August 10 2021 - 6:00 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

This species develops crazy fast. 

5 days ago the first larvae appeared in this colony, and as of last night, they began pupating. Already. On a diet of only seeds, the first new larvae took only 4 days to fully develop. Now, I'd imagine this prepupal stage will take a few days as well, bringing the total larval stage to likely just over a week, but that is still insanely fast.

IMG 20210810 180852404

Now, the observant of you might notice that the larvae are still a fair bit smaller than the workers present in the colony, however I believe this is just the colony wanting to get new workers as fast as possible since there was a pretty large discrepancy in the generations, where the boosted workers fully eclosed before the colony had any larvae. 

Here's some bonus pics from the previous day of the growing larvae:

IMG 20210807 220442666
IMG 20210809 132456505

And some bonus media of a wild colony, in case you weren't as excited for this colony as I am.

IMG 20210809 232659414

• TennesseeAnts, CatsnAnts, ANTdrew and 6 others like this

#35 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted August 12 2021 - 6:57 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Pupae! 

IMG 20210812 194514084 HDR

So far it has been 16 days since eggs were laid, which sets us on pace for an egg to worker time of under a month, which is super exciting. So far no signs of major brood but I'd imagine it won't be too far off.

IMG 20210812 194410113

There's also a huge ball of eggs the size of the queen's head in there, which is awesome.

• ANTdrew, Manitobant, ReignofRage and 3 others like this

#36 Offline Chasicle - Posted August 17 2021 - 10:17 PM

Chasicle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSpokane Washington, USA
Nice! Loving all your journals

#37 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted August 20 2021 - 2:43 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

POPULAR

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

We have a worker!!!!

IMG 20210820 153318383
unknown (2)

One month since capture, and 23 days since the eggs were originally laid, we've got our first biological worker. Looks like there'll be many more to follow suit, and hopefully soon enough they'll start making some more majors!

• AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and 8 others like this

#38 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 20 2021 - 2:58 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Double like!
  • Antkeeper01, KadinB and Chickalo like this

#39 Offline Chasicle - Posted August 20 2021 - 9:19 PM

Chasicle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSpokane Washington, USA
Yeeeees
  • Kaelwizard and Antkeeper01 like this

#40 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted August 25 2021 - 1:20 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Need. More. Rhea.

Since the first new worker, a couple have been eclosing here and there every day. By now the biological workers outnumber the boosted workers, albeit just barely. There's still a ton of brood of all stages, which is awesome. I can't even remember the last time I was this impatient for a colony to grow. They're just so awesome.

Not to mention, but I bought an XL labyrinth back in February and pledged to never use it for any species other than Pheidole rhea. It's been sitting in my closet gathering dust, just waiting for the day this colony gets big enough to inhabit it. Thankfully I was lucky enough to get a queen this season, otherwise who knows how long it would have gathered dust... although I think waiting for the colony to get bigger is more painful than waiting to catch a queen was.

IMG 20210825 140534656
IMG 20210825 140528089
IMG 20210825 140504001

• AnthonyP163, Mettcollsuss, TennesseeAnts and 6 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users