• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

aaaaand I have another pet now (the danger of getting attached to feeders)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline futurebird - Posted July 18 2021 - 12:15 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY
A couple of weeks ago I found a bunch of house spiders of various sizes in one of my notebooks. Thinking of my ants. I caught them in little plastic vials intending to freeze and feed them to my colonies. I gave them the largest spiders that same day... and they were a big hit.

But one of the spiders was just so tiny I didn't see the point of feeding it to the ants. It was much smaller than a fruit fly, About the size of the head of a pin. "well, if I feed you you won't be tiny for long" I thought. I had so much fun watching her catch and eat fruit flies... I started to feel like the witch from Hansel and Gretel... so I named her. Introducing Gretel! The common American house spider. 

I've moved gretel into a slightly larger container and she's growing! I put one of the feeder fly pupae along with a few fruit flies in with her. To my surprise the fly hatched right away... none of the other pupae have hatched... I was planning on that being a treat for when she was larger... oh well...

W7A38UK.png

Gretel will have the last laugh...

edqTTio.png

I'll post about her progress here. Anyway... I just hope I don't get attached to mealworms next.

OH NO IT'S TOO LATE.

(not really, though. The beatles remain on the menu. They are just too popular with lasius...)
  • Swirlysnowflake, TestSubjectOne and Antkeeper01 like this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users