• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Monomorium? queen, June 26, Cerritos, LA County, California

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Andrengo - Posted June 26 2021 - 10:07 PM

Andrengo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLA County

This queen flew into the book I was reading outside today.

I am guessing that she is a Monomorium or Solenopsis mostly from her size (just under 4mm, but I couldn't get her to sit still on a ruler for a photo.)

She is much smaller looking than the M. pharaonis queens I am used to seeing, and she still has her wings.

She is kind of hairy, as you can see in at least one of the pics.

In the photos where she looks more golden, that's because she was backlight and the light was shining through her gaster. She looked to be a dark brown (much darker than M. pharaonis).

I am guessing M. eratogynum or M. minimum. But It's kind of a wild guess. I am newly returned to CA after 20+ years in Canada, plus I generally don't deal with the wee species (except for a brief period of interest in M.pharaonis years ago) (Could it be a thief ant/Solenopsis? they are also wee things, are they not?)

Sorry for the lousy photos. She's tiny and all I had on me was a dirty 2cm tube. :/

Monomorium? IMG_5621.jpg Monomorium? IMG_5610.jpg Monomorium? IMG_5603.jpg Monomorium? IMG_0028.jpg Monomorium? IMG_0030.jpg Monomorium? IMG_0035.jpg

Edited by Andrengo, June 27 2021 - 12:48 AM.

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 27 2021 - 2:32 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,505 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I don’t believe this is Monomorium. I would guess some Soleopsis species.
  • Andrengo likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline gcsnelling - Posted June 27 2021 - 6:46 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Two clubbed antenna definitely look like a Solenopsis.

• Andrengo likes this

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 27 2021 - 9:04 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Solenopsis truncorum. Good luck on it being a fertile queen... They rarely ever are it seems.

• Andrengo, TestSubjectOne and Antkeeper01 like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#5 Offline Andrengo - Posted June 27 2021 - 6:17 PM

Andrengo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLA County
Thanks for the quick responses! I didn’t realize how many Solenopsis are that small. I have never actively sought to culture them. I’ll be pretty excited if it is fertile, but not overly put out of it isn’t. I still have my Camponotus (and if I can time my desert trips properly, honeypots)

#6 Offline AlexLebedev - Posted June 27 2021 - 8:08 PM

AlexLebedev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California

Solenopsis the cubbed antennae 

• Andrengo and Antkeeper01 like this

What i am keeping Brachymyrmex patagonicus 1 worker x5 tetramorium immigrans 10 workers x2 lasius crypticus 5 workers Pheidole californica 6 queens150~ workers 10-30 majors, Formica argentea 10~ W

What I've kept crematogaster sp pheidole californica camponotus vicinus high elev, dumetorum,laevigatus, prenolepis imparis, pogonomyrmex californicus and subnitidus and californicus, veromessor andrei, camponotus sayi, hypoponera opacior ,Liometopum occidentale solnopsis molesta group, solenopsis xyloni.

#7 Offline Andrengo - Posted July 17 2021 - 8:54 PM

Andrengo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLA County

Solenopsis truncorum. Good luck on it being a fertile queen... They rarely ever are it seems.

Well, it looks like I got lucky. She has brood.
99ce7c22e11375c1cdf8a3d8a6abce35.jpg
4de1da192b802bef84999a69c538fe88.jpg
0d1854552f958f27c53be31a3b26372f.jpg

Edited by Andrengo, July 18 2021 - 3:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users