• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Has anyone ever heard of this?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Doros - Posted July 19 2021 - 5:53 AM

Doros

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hello all,

I have a colony of Formica subsericea and I observed them doing something I've never seen before... I had placed a freshly cut slice of green apple in their food cup in their foraging area, and when I came back about 10 minutes later they had placed several dry 'husks' of Drosophila that they had been fed a couple of days earlier directly on the cut face of the apple...they left the dead flies on the apple for about half an hour, and then they proceeded to ingest them again...were they rehydrating with the juices from the apple to have a second go at the previously dried out flies?  Totally blew me away...

• cap_backfire likes this

#2 Offline Broncos - Posted July 19 2021 - 5:59 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California
Lots of ants do this to make drinking easier, and safer. Pogonomyrmex cover honey and other liquid sweets/water with grains of dirt so that they can drink it through the dirt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#3 Offline Doros - Posted July 19 2021 - 9:23 AM

Doros

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Ahhh... fascinating!  Thank you!