• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aaron's Xenomyrmex floridanus Journal (Updated 12/18/21)

xenomyrmex floridanus xenomyrmex crematogastrini

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Aaron567 - Posted August 13 2021 - 4:09 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

POPULAR

Xenomyrmex floridanus 

Xenomyrmex floridanus is an arboreal Crematogastrine ant that is most common in the parts of Florida, Bahamas, and Cuba that host populations of mangroves. In Florida it is one of the most abundant native mangrove ants, but it can also be found inland nesting in the dead stems of other trees and shrubs. Workers are around 2 millimeters in length and monomorphic. Despite its Monomorium-like appearance, Xenomyrmex is in the tribe Crematogastrini and is more closely related to Cardiocondyla and Cataulacus.

In July 2021 I was visiting Daytona Beach, FL for a few days, a part of the state that happens to host one of the northernmost established populations of red mangrove (Rhizophora mangle). While breaking open mangrove stems, I found a couple lone queens and colony fragments of X. floridanus.

yDYHNyy.png

I found two lone queens and put them in a test tube together. For several days, they stayed away from each other and did not seem to want to be together, so I separated them. One queen was missing half of an antenna and the other queen didn't have any flaws. I boosted the "flawless" queen with a few pieces of brood from a colony fragment and left the other queen alone to found independently. 

Here was the boosted queen on July 18. She laid a single egg and the second worker hatched. Then, the queen suddenly died. Turns out she wasn't so flawless after all!

RIP

86lg4jB.jpg

The queen that is missing half an antenna and didn't get a brood boost, however, is thriving. She has 8+ larvae and some eggs. A couple larvae are preparing to pupate.

bU6fnCC.jpg

P6L1vCl.jpg

b5zQtRY.jpg

I am looking forward to keeping this species because it seems unusual and is pretty unique among the US ant fauna. Nobody else seems to have really kept them so it'll be a new experience.

Edited by Aaron567, December 18 2021 - 9:45 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02, Kaelwizard and 13 others like this

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 13 2021 - 4:33 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Awesome! After seeing the Inat observation, I was hoping for a journal, glad to see it has come to pass!
  • Aaron567 and Antkeeper01 like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline Aaron567 - Posted September 4 2021 - 12:04 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

September 4, 2021

The first nanitics recently eclosed. These photos are right before I gave them sugar water, so the queen was really skinny here.

AOxD6ba.jpg

zFverwM.jpg

r78cIcx.jpg

• CheetoLord02, Kaelwizard, Antkeeper01 and 4 others like this

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 4 2021 - 12:45 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Awesome!

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#5 Offline eea - Posted September 4 2021 - 6:49 PM

eea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

the workers are so cute

-camponotus sansabeanus: 20 wokrers

#6 Offline futurebird - Posted September 5 2021 - 6:06 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

They are so cute! And the injured queen is my new tiny hero? What lens do you use, by the way? your photos are perfect. 

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#7 Offline Aaron567 - Posted September 5 2021 - 6:52 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

They are so cute! And the injured queen is my new tiny hero? What lens do you use, by the way? your photos are perfect. 

Thanks! I use a Canon MP-E 65mm

• eea likes this

#8 Offline Aaron567 - Posted December 18 2021 - 9:50 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

December 18, 2021

This colony has been growing slowly but surely. They've had a fairly limited amount of food these last few months as I've been busy, so they can probably grow much faster than this normally. The colony has around 15 workers now, but 60+ total pieces of brood. They readily accept sugar water and small roaches as usual.

VeT8oGM.jpg

ygP5hKP.jpg

AnGITJJ.jpg

• Kaelwizard, Manitobant, Antkeeper014 and 4 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users