• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aaron's Camponotus sexguttatus Journal (Updated 12/18/21)

camponotus sexguttatus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Aaron567 - Posted July 16 2021 - 4:01 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Camponotus sexguttatus

Camponotus sexguttatus is a widespread tropical species native from Argentina to the Caribbean islands. It was introduced to southeastern Florida in the late 20th century and has been spreading quickly, now covering about a third of the state. Their species name sexguttatus means "six spots" because in some populations they have three pairs of spots on the side of the gaster. In Florida however, most specimens have only two or four spots. I had a journal of this species previously, but it was a dual journal with my colony of Camponotus inaequalis and there was only one queen. I have deleted the C. sexguttatus posts on that journal and converted it to a journal on just the inaequalis because I felt that it was confusing the way it was. I figured I'd start over new with C. sexguttatus because it's been a while since I've kept them and I've wanted a polygynous Camponotus colony for a while.

June 30, 2021

On this day I received a group of Camponotus sexguttatus queens from a friend who lives on the east coast of Florida because I do not have this species in my part of the state. There were 6 queens but one of them died or got killed during shipping. At this point they only had eggs.

July 16, 2021

Today there is a nicely sized brood pile. Three pupae and more on the way. 

7V2nxGm.jpg

MTyF9YG.jpg

9V1Q82v.jpg

m8yOTQ0.jpg

Edited by Aaron567, December 18 2021 - 10:14 AM.

• CheetoLord02, ANTdrew, NickAnter and 3 others like this

#2 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 16 2021 - 9:52 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
They look so cute! Looks a bit like C. albosparus ngl

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#3 Offline futurebird - Posted July 17 2021 - 2:25 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

The way they are laying is why I call Camponotus "puppy ants"

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#4 Offline Bobby_Hill - Posted August 2 2021 - 12:51 PM

Bobby_Hill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
Awesome!

#5 Offline Aaron567 - Posted August 5 2021 - 12:19 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

August 5, 2021

This colony has 8 workers, 11 pupae, several large/medium larvae, and around 30 eggs & small larvae.

aPCYiyU.jpg

tkqrcJy.jpg

7GyCzAj.jpg

St7ABWu.jpg

• CheetoLord02 likes this

#6 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted August 5 2021 - 2:21 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Do these stay polygynous or will they cull queens? I'm really curious about Camponotus polygyny, and I'm experimenting with polygynous colonies of a few of our western species to see if it works.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#7 Offline Aaron567 - Posted August 5 2021 - 9:05 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Do these stay polygynous or will they cull queens? I'm really curious about Camponotus polygyny, and I'm experimenting with polygynous colonies of a few of our western species to see if it works.

I actually can't seem to find any sources that discuss polygyny in C. sexguttatus so I guess we'll just have to wait and see what this colony does. A couple years ago I saw a Dominican antkeeper on Instagram who had a decently sized polygyne colony of them so I've always assumed the species was polygynous.

• CheetoLord02 likes this

#8 Offline Aaron567 - Posted December 18 2021 - 10:30 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

December 18, 2021

The polygyny in this particular colony has not gone very smoothly. Since the last update (4+ months ago) there has been a lot of infighting and aggressiveness between the members of the colony. I'm not sure if queens are fighting each other or if the workers are attacking the queens, but one queen has died and all four living queens have lost limbs and/or antennae to some degree. Most of the time, some of the queens have been "shunned": forced to stay in the outworld and not allowed entry into the test tube. The shunned queens have stayed alive the entire time, apparently due to sympathetic workers (possibly their own biological workers) feeding them. For a brief period of time, there was only one queen in the nest and the rest were in the outworld. At present, there are two queens in the nest getting along peacefully. A few months ago, not long after the last update, aggressiveness between workers hit a peak, and there were at least 15-20 workers killed. I presume that it was the biological workers of the different queens that were fighting each other.

There are now between 80 and 100 workers total (~10 of which are majors), with four queens technically alive. I'm not sure that the shunned queens in the outworld are actually producing anything. This colony is probably small for its age, influenced by multiple factors including civil war and limited feedings. But, they are certainly growing and doing fine.

UqU7IP2.jpg

5bCSTIv.jpg

• ANTdrew, Antkeeper01, OiledOlives and 3 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, sexguttatus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users