• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

just a little update on my first colony of Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline olookitsme - Posted August 12 2021 - 9:58 AM

olookitsme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationJoliet, Illinois

So my queen and 5(there were 6, but i had my first ant die) workers living in an antscanada test tube and test tube portal set up. I set that up as soon as i noticed my queen had a worker so I can quickly give some food, and had 2 test tubes set up. They finally moved out of their original test tube and into their new one with the black plastic bag covering it. unfortunately i didn't catch them making the move or I would have gotten a picture of them. Before the great migration to the new test tube, I still left the whole set up in a shoe box and in the dark for the past few weeks and would check every few days to make sure they were still alive and offer them either a meal work cut in half or a drop of honey. I would occasionally leave them in the light to try to convince them to make the move so i can get rid of the old test tube but they just seemed more aggravated  than anything and would go after  their eggs. now that they finally switched to the new test tube, is it safe for me to leave them out like that and do you all think that bag is doing a well enough job for them for darkness? also, as for the feeding times every few days, is that well enough for the time being and should I really worry about overfeeding?

Sorry for all the questions, but as usual. I appreciate all the input i get! Thank you all in advance

Attached Images

• 20210812_123357.jpg

• Antkeeper01 and zA-Z0-9 like this

Queens owned

3 Camponotus pennsylvanicus

3 Formica pallidefulva

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 12 2021 - 10:25 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Wrapping aluminum foil around the tube would look and work better. Feed them a little bit of protein every other day or so. Keep sugars available consistently. Don’t worry about overfeeding; most people underfeed their ants.
  • olookitsme likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline olookitsme - Posted August 12 2021 - 10:44 AM

olookitsme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationJoliet, Illinois

Wrapping aluminum foil around the tube would look and work better. Feed them a little bit of protein every other day or so. Keep sugars available consistently. Don’t worry about overfeeding; most people underfeed their ants.

thank you. i will probably wait a couple days before switching the bag to tinfoil to let them get adjusted to their new test tube. I always fear for them eating their eggs. it was a constant issue for my queens

• zA-Z0-9 likes this

Queens owned

3 Camponotus pennsylvanicus

3 Formica pallidefulva

#4 Offline zA-Z0-9 - Posted August 12 2021 - 2:15 PM

zA-Z0-9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Locationraymondville mo

I've personally learned that tin foil molds the test tube way faster than if the test tube was to have colored paper or something not saying that it doesnt work 

just thought i shoul share my experience with tin foil

I LOVE ANTS!!!!

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 12 2021 - 2:39 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I can’t think of any reason clean tin foil out of the box would contribute to mold at all. You are probably observing something coincidental.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline zA-Z0-9 - Posted August 12 2021 - 2:46 PM

zA-Z0-9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

I can’t think of any reason clean tin foil out of the box would contribute to mold at all. You are probably observing something coincidental.

no it makes it sweat too much in my opinion

I LOVE ANTS!!!!

#7 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 12 2021 - 3:03 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

If it is near a heat source it probably causes lots of condensation to occur, so that is probably what you are observing. 

• zA-Z0-9 likes this

#8 Offline zA-Z0-9 - Posted August 12 2021 - 3:32 PM

zA-Z0-9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

If it is near a heat source it probably causes lots of condensation to occur, so that is probably what you are observing. 

hmm youre probaly right

I LOVE ANTS!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users