• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

possibly stupid questions about vacuum cleaners

vacuum stressed queen stress dead queen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline futurebird - Posted July 13 2021 - 5:51 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

I recently had a camponotus pennsylvanicus queen die on me. She was fine one day, then she started having fits, twitching and was dead in 10 hours. Two days later she was covered in fuzzy fungus. 

So, really I have my answer, she got infected and died. We don't always know why they die.  Exoskeletons are so inscrutable. 

But, also, she started the fits right after I vacuumed. I didn't vacuum her shelf, but I was in the same room running it for a long time. After I found my lasius in a pile, and they slowly spread out over an hour. (but they also needed water so that's hardly conclusive) Other ants didn't notice, but the big carpenter girl was twitching and clearly dieing. 

I keep thinking "could it have been the sound?" The vibrations? 

So, does running a vacuum freak out ants?

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#2 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted July 13 2021 - 11:13 PM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

I recently had a camponotus pennsylvanicus queen die on me. She was fine one day, then she started having fits, twitching and was dead in 10 hours. Two days later she was covered in fuzzy fungus.

So, really I have my answer, she got infected and died. We don't always know why they die. Exoskeletons are so inscrutable.

But, also, she started the fits right after I vacuumed. I didn't vacuum her shelf, but I was in the same room running it for a long time. After I found my lasius in a pile, and they slowly spread out over an hour. (but they also needed water so that's hardly conclusive) Other ants didn't notice, but the big carpenter girl was twitching and clearly dieing.

I keep thinking "could it have been the sound?" The vibrations?

So, does running a vacuum freak out ants?

I think running a vacuum would have minor effects on non sensitive queens. I think it was a coincidence that she started twitching and stuff after because if you vacuumed for awhile it could have happened in the same time period if you didn't vacuum.

#3 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted July 13 2021 - 11:16 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA
I don’t think the two events are connected- as strawnkayden said, the vibrations may have been a minor disturbance but that alone would not have killed her.

My YouTube channel :)

#4 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted July 13 2021 - 11:19 PM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

I don’t think the two events are connected- as strawnkayden said, the vibrations may have been a minor disturbance but that alone would not have killed her.

Thank you, I also forgot to mention since there was mold it was most likely the mold. All my pheidole queens died to a random mold outbreak.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vacuum, stressed queen, stress, dead queen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users