• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Iridomyrmex anceps new queen?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Richard - Posted July 8 2021 - 1:39 AM

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Out of nowhere my Iridomyrmex anceps colony (1,5yo colony) has a second fertile queen and she is now laying eggs. Both of them are in the same setup but different chamber. I mean, how is this even possible? Clone? Sharing sperm?

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#2 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 8 2021 - 2:17 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I guess the other queen probably flew into the setup and got accepted by the workers.

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#3 Offline Fatatoille - Posted July 8 2021 - 9:42 AM

Fatatoille

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationUK (England)
That’s interesting, iridomyrmex purpurus have also been observed with multiple queens, usually in larger colonies, likely making this secondary polygyny. There’s not much info on other species in the iridomyrmex genus accepting extra queens in captivity as most colonies get by just fine on a single queen, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this was a trait shared across the genus. Do keep us updated on what happens though, the more documented, the better.

Prawn and Mayo sandwiches taste nice.

#4 Offline Richard - Posted August 27 2021 - 1:33 AM

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

That’s interesting, iridomyrmex purpurus have also been observed with multiple queens, usually in larger colonies, likely making this secondary polygyny. There’s not much info on other species in the iridomyrmex genus accepting extra queens in captivity as most colonies get by just fine on a single queen, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this was a trait shared across the genus. Do keep us updated on what happens though, the more documented, the better.

Both of them are doing great. They're now in the same chamber. 
Last week, there were a lot of queens in the outworld. So, I decided to catch 5 of them, each in a separate test tube. And 1 of them is now laying eggs.
I guess the prime queen spare and share the sperm? (No drones inside)

Edited by Richard, August 27 2021 - 10:47 AM.

• Fatatoille and futurebird like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users