• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

needing help ASAP, no test tubes!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline littlebandicoot - Posted July 5 2021 - 1:11 AM

littlebandicoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationBenson, Arizona

Ok so here is the quick and dirty of what's going on...

Found queens... LOADS of queens. All but 3 containers in this tub are queens.  (the dirt is another Odontomachus clarus queen *squeals* )00e29528ea69c7c4b795c16bb21ad396.png

Problem is, I have no test tubes.  Husband is being a butt and is making me wait at least 2 weeks till I can buy some.  Could I put a soaked cotton ball in each deli cup and pray that they survive till I can get some tubes? Or should I just let the ladies go and wait till I get some tubes?
I know the Odontomachus clarus and my Pogonomyrmex will be fine in the Deli cups with some dirt and tube with water. I have tiny vials currently that came from some crafting kits, but are way to small for founding queens. 
Thanks in advance. 
Bandi  

#2 Offline KadinB - Posted July 5 2021 - 1:14 AM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

yea just a wet cotton ball would work make sure you keep it hydrated of course. Good luck with those queens!

#3 Offline littlebandicoot - Posted July 5 2021 - 1:37 AM

littlebandicoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationBenson, Arizona

yea just a wet cotton ball would work make sure you keep it hydrated of course. Good luck with those queens!

oh thank you so much!!! you are awesome! 

• gs5248 likes this

#4 Offline KadinB - Posted July 5 2021 - 1:37 AM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

oh thank you so much!!! you are awesome!
no problem!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 5 2021 - 2:53 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
If you have any clear tubing available, you could make some setups by plugging one end. Some bubbles are sold in tubes that work really well. Why not use the thin neck of a clear beer bottle? You’d have a mega water reservoir in that case!
  • Antkeeper01 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users