• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

SYUTEO's ant journal

ant journal

• Please log in to reply
354 replies to this topic

#341 Offline SYUTEO - Posted November 12 2022 - 1:52 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Sad that the journal is coming to an end. If you want to find some queens, you can go to the Bukit Kiara Federal Park. There are lots of ants there that would pique your interest. For example, I found some Cataulacus, Gesomyrmex, Camponotus bedoti and a Dilobocondyla yamanei queen that I am attempting to raise. Good luck!

That's nice! Not sure when can I go though, I've been cubing (solving Rubik's Cubes) a lot recently and I have competition coming soon.

• ANTS_KL likes this

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#342 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 12 2022 - 7:26 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Sorry to hear this, but don’t give up.
  • SYUTEO likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#343 Offline T.C. - Posted November 12 2022 - 9:08 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Sad that the journal is coming to an end. If you want to find some queens, you can go to the Bukit Kiara Federal Park. There are lots of ants there that would pique your interest. For example, I found some Cataulacus, Gesomyrmex, Camponotus bedoti and a Dilobocondyla yamanei queen that I am attempting to raise. Good luck!

That's nice! Not sure when can I go though, I've been cubing (solving Rubik's Cubes) a lot recently and I have competition coming soon.

That's a thing? I'm not trolling, I'm genuinely curious now. Believe me it takes me a solid hour to fix a Rubiks cube I messed up.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#344 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 12 2022 - 12:11 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I can figure those things out to save my life!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#345 Offline SYUTEO - Posted November 12 2022 - 4:44 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

That's a thing? I'm not trolling, I'm genuinely curious now. Believe me it takes me a solid hour to fix a Rubiks cube I messed up.

Yes, and have been for a long time.

#346 Offline SYUTEO - Posted November 12 2022 - 5:51 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

This is ridiculous

The moment I decided to discountinue this journal I found a trap-jaw ant queen. That being said, do you guys still want to follow updates on this queen? If yes, I'll probably update it on my old trap-jaw ant journal.

• Karma likes this

#347 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 12 2022 - 6:50 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Of course, man. Like I said, never give up.
  • Karma likes this

#348 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted November 12 2022 - 9:35 PM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa

This is ridiculous

The moment I decided to discountinue this journal I found a trap-jaw ant queen. That being said, do you guys still want to follow updates on this queen? If yes, I'll probably update it on my old trap-jaw ant journal.

Yasss!!

Sent from my TECNO BD4h using Tapatalk

#349 Offline SYUTEO - Posted September 5 2023 - 5:53 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Everyone, after nearly a whole year, this journal is back! I took a long hiatus from antkeeping due to burnout but hopefully now I am motivated enough to update this journal for all of you. Coincidentally, it's also on my birthday:) Here are the ants that will be featured here:

1 Camponotus irritans founding queen

1 Camponotus parius founding queen

1 Pheidole megacephala colony with 12 queens and about 50-80 workers

The two Camponotus queens are housed in a test tube setup and the P. megacephalare currently housed in a tubs and tubes setup but I plan on moving them to a new setup. Pictures will be coming in the next update!

Also I'm unable to find queen ants in the usual places I find them for some reason, they're getting harder and harder to find for me. Even the place where I found the two Camponotus queens don't have a lot of queens flying, not even others of their own species so I'm really hoping that they are fertile.

• Karma and 100lols like this

#350 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 5 2023 - 6:38 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Glad you're back at it. I hope the lack of queens does not continue for you. 

• SYUTEO and 100lols like this

#351 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted September 6 2023 - 1:13 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Everyone, after nearly a whole year, this journal is back! I took a long hiatus from antkeeping due to burnout but hopefully now I am motivated enough to update this journal for all of you. Coincidentally, it's also on my birthday:) Here are the ants that will be featured here:

1 Camponotus irritans founding queen

1 Camponotus parius founding queen

1 Pheidole megacephala colony with 12 queens and about 50-80 workers

The two Camponotus queens are housed in a test tube setup and the P. megacephalare currently housed in a tubs and tubes setup but I plan on moving them to a new setup. Pictures will be coming in the next update!

Also I'm unable to find queen ants in the usual places I find them for some reason, they're getting harder and harder to find for me. Even the place where I found the two Camponotus queens don't have a lot of queens flying, not even others of their own species so I'm really hoping that they are fertile.

Same here. Oddly, Malaysia has been having a shortage of nuptial flights this year. Not sure if it's the rising temperature, but it doesn't look good. 

Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#352 Offline SYUTEO - Posted November 7 2023 - 5:04 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Hi everyone, I know, it's been 2 whole months since the last update and the reason is I'm just not that motivated to update anymore. Anyways, here is one picture of the Camponotus irritans. They now have 4 workers. Also according to ANTS_KL, they could be a subspecies of C. irritansCamponotus irritans inferior.

IMG_20231107_205211.jpg?ex=655ca9b5&is=6

C. parius keeps eating her eggs and P. megacephala lost a lot of workers but they still have their queens and a big pile of eggs.

• Leo, Karma, ANTdrew and 1 other like this

#353 Offline SYUTEO - Posted November 17 2023 - 5:14 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

So unfortunately C. irritans is down to just one worker and no brood, I'm very sorry that this journal's comeback has been a huge disappointment especially since it's rated 5 stars but the thing is I just don't have the time and motivation anymore and that queens are getting harder to find. And from what I heard from my parents we might also be in a financial crisis as well. C. parius is likely infertile and P. megacephala is also dying out. It is likely this journal may be discontinued again so I'm sorry that its comeback only lasted 2 months and two updates.  :sorry:

Now don't think too much, even though I may enter another hiatus, I will still visit this forum at least once a day and maybe post every now and then. I might also post photos of interesting ants I find, maybe on the photography thread even though they're probably going to be very bad since I don't have a camera nor macro lens. If I have the motivation and time again I might continue this journal as antkeeping has taught me a lot of things that amazed me and people I know.

There is still a chance the C. irritans can survive and live long enough for the journal to continue. All my feeders have also died except for my Turkestan roaches (Blatta lateralis) which are still alive and seem to be doing well.

• Karma and 100lols like this

#354 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 17 2023 - 4:35 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Don’t give up!
  • SYUTEO and rptraut like this

#355 Offline 100lols - Posted November 20 2023 - 6:48 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
Sounds like you have a lot going on. But I agree, don’t give up!! Maybe being forced to focus on fewer colonies would help with your burnout. Get you that sense of connection and intimacy back with your pets.

I recently watched “Life on our planet” on Netflix and I’m feeling even more motivated and in love with these little life forms. Highly suggest checking it out either way!

Cheers mate!
  • ANTdrew, SYUTEO and rptraut like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users