• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants have moved out of test tube.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CRed96 - Posted June 18 2021 - 2:53 AM

CRed96

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Good morning everyone,

So... I am a fledgling ant keeper, I got a test tube of 10 lasius Niger around the end of February and made them a little formicarium (a 15x30x20 fish tank half filled with soil composite and a few succulents and leaf matter).

I put woodlice and some other small beasties in with them and they lived in the test tube, having blocked the entrance within days until this morning. I would estimate the colony had grown to about 30-40 worker ants and probably as many eggs.

But they have "vanished"...

My questions are, now they're at this size, what should I be feeding them? And what is the best way of finding them?

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 18 2021 - 3:23 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Well they have probably hidden themselves with the dirt, and there isn't really anything you can do about that. If the tank was half filled with dirt they could have even moved into it. They need the same foods they were getting before (sugar water, honey water, or fruit and insects), just more. This also should be in a different section on the forum as this section is for feedback/suggestions/questions for the forum itself.

• ANTdrew likes this

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 18 2021 - 6:02 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You could try heating one side of the tank and hope they dig near the glass, otherwise you won’t see them again. They will start foraging more and more though as their numbers grow.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users