• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Acromyrmex Versicolor Journal

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ElisAnts - Posted July 27 2021 - 6:10 PM

ElisAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
on 7/25/21 i caught 45 queens with Cheeto and have set them up in a tub with a deli cup and a little bit of fungus (from cheeto) also the tub has a small layer of sand… 1dba93bb9205a66077e47c61eb51bf41.jpg

Only 3 of the 9 tubs have fungus right now. (there are 9 tubs with 5 queens in each tub)
I will continue you update as they grow but I had some problems. 1) They haven’t showed much interest in foraging so far and i have offered oatmeal, fish pellets, texas sage bush flowers, oleander flowers and even cereal. 2) I have read that the fungus thrives in high humidity so i was wondering what would be the best way to add humidity. 3) Should i give the tubs that have no fungus a small piece from the other small chunks of fungus or should i leave it for a couple of weeks and let it grow.
(All queens we’re dug from founding chambers so we don’t have the pellets but have fungus from another successful colony)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • CheetoLord02 and eea like this

#2 Offline ElisAnts - Posted July 27 2021 - 7:27 PM

ElisAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Decided to add a deli cup full of water with cotton to increase humidity. Also added mesquite leaves in hopes they’ll add this to the fungus and it will grow large enough to donate some to the setups without fungus. ffa04e3ce722503474946aafc408fd16.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • eea likes this

#3 Offline ElisAnts - Posted July 29 2021 - 1:00 AM

ElisAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Now all 9 setups have fungus, a fungus transplant, eggs or a combination of all. I have seen eggs in most setups, with some even being away from the pellet… The queens didn’t forage until i put a texas sage brush flower right into the deli cup with the fungus. Now all ants are tending to the fungus or cutting texas sage flowers.
ae3f902ca67e61846eb15594d2c1a423.jpg

Red being the fungus pellet blue being the egg cluster^^^
50e3799aa9c0f4376b4187c4a2f11822.jpg
Queens with any type of fungus from pellet to large clump have all laid eggs…
Queens without fungus or pellet have not laid eggs and just stay close together in the deli cup not doing much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users