• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What is the best way to conserve death ants? Ant's taxidermy?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline alwayslearning - Posted June 14 2021 - 7:05 PM

alwayslearning

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Hello! I hope you are well.

Lately, 2 of my colonies died and I have been thinking about collecting some information to preserve death ants/ants taxidermy.

Anyone has experience? If so, would you share how you resources or some information.

I'm totally new and I think this forum is the best place to find proper info.

Thanks!  

#2 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted June 14 2021 - 7:22 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Preserving in a vial of high grade ethanol (95%+) is a great way to preserve them. You can also pin them to keep in a collection.

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 15 2021 - 2:47 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,421 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Another funky thing you can do is encase them in casting resin. You can find resin at craft stores like Michael’s or Hobby Lobby. It’s a little expensive, but kind of fun.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline alwayslearning - Posted June 20 2021 - 3:19 PM

alwayslearning

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Preserving in a vial of high grade ethanol (95%+) is a great way to preserve them. You can also pin them to keep in a collection.

Thanks a lot for your advice. 

Did you do it before?

If so, you submerge the ant for how much time? And then, you pin them to for example a cardboard? 
i'm trying to do something similar to the ants we see in "Ant Wiki"

Again, thanks for making time for me. 

#5 Offline alwayslearning - Posted June 20 2021 - 3:20 PM

alwayslearning

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Another funky thing you can do is encase them in casting resin. You can find resin at craft stores like Michael’s or Hobby Lobby. It’s a little expensive, but kind of fun.

Thanks, ANTdrew...

I will definitely try it. 

Once I do it I will let you know :D

• ANTdrew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users