• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How many nuptial flights per year?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FelixTheAnter - Posted July 13 2021 - 2:24 AM

FelixTheAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
It seems like I've seen many places say that all the queens of a species fly at the same time. But it seems I've also read that there will be multiple flights per year. How exactly does that work?
I want to catch an L. Niger queen, and just saw someone from here in the Netherlands say that the queens were flying yesterday. They were in the very south of NL, I'm in the north. I haven't seen a single queen, and I even had a blacklight on in my yard for a couple hours last night. Is it likely that they all fly at once...in different times in different regions? Just curious how this all works

#2 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 13 2021 - 3:07 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

It seems like I've seen many places say that all the queens of a species fly at the same time. But it seems I've also read that there will be multiple flights per year. How exactly does that work?
I want to catch an L. Niger queen, and just saw someone from here in the Netherlands say that the queens were flying yesterday. They were in the very south of NL, I'm in the north. I haven't seen a single queen, and I even had a blacklight on in my yard for a couple hours last night. Is it likely that they all fly at once...in different times in different regions? Just curious how this all works

Yea usually that's how it works. And in tropical areas queens usually fly year round after rains.

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#3 Offline FelixTheAnter - Posted July 13 2021 - 4:38 AM

FelixTheAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Good to know! I was also just looking for pupae of Camponotus, and when I pulled back some dead tree bark there was a huge L. Niger colony behind it. I saw the largest Lasius pupae I've ever seen, so I'm assuming they are alates. Does that mean there's probably several days still before the nuptial flights?

And how long after a local flight can you expect find queens?
  • Swirlysnowflake likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users