• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus sp. with mealworm behavior

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Servercheck - Posted June 17 2015 - 4:34 AM

Servercheck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationPenang, Malaysia

Hey guys, I don't have any colonies now, but some of you may know that I gave away my Camponotus sp. colony to another local with the condition that he update me regularly on the progress of the colony.

In the most recent update, he said he threw in live mealworms into the outworld, and the workers actually waited until one of them shed their skin before attacking and eating it! I believe this is to avoid cutting through the hard exoskeleton, but I don't recall reading of this behavior before. Anyone noticed this interesting behavior in your colonies?

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 17 2015 - 6:07 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

The process of sclerotization, that is, the hardening of the exoskeleton after moulting, has a distinctive smell, which many ants find irresistible.  This is the case with all insect prey—not just mealworms.

Although it is clear that this is when an insect prey is most vulnerable, correlation does not necessarily imply causation in this instance.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted June 17 2015 - 1:34 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

The odd time I have dumped a live mealworm in, my Camponotus never wait around.  They promptly move in to kill and butcher it.

Except for colonies with less than 10 workers, they are more skittish and hesitant.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted June 17 2015 - 10:51 PM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Camponotus are much stronger than many other ants. For instance Pheidole majors are also more for the rough work. These ants don't need to hesitate.

:hi: Franz

if you find any mistakes, it's my autocorrection. it doesn't speak english.

#5 Offline Servercheck - Posted June 18 2015 - 4:12 AM

Servercheck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationPenang, Malaysia

The process of sclerotization, that is, the hardening of the exoskeleton after moulting, has a distinctive smell, which many ants find irresistible.  This is the case with all insect prey—not just mealworms.

Although it is clear that this is when an insect prey is most vulnerable, correlation does not necessarily imply causation in this instance.

Wow that's amazing! Thanks for the info!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users