• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The Search for Odontomachus relictus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted June 18 2022 - 1:14 PM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida
Greetings!
I have decided to make a journal for all my adventures to find my dream species, Odontomachus relictus. Some may say, why can’t you settle for the invasive Odontomachus? Well, if I am going to be honest, i really don’t want too many invasives, as all but 2 of my 12-15 colonies are invasive. Today was a decent rain, so I decided to adventure into a friends backyard who lives in the native range of O. Relictus. To much disappointment, I found 2 O ruginodis queens and 6 other species. I believe these others are all O. Haematodus. I do have hope, as one queen is not the typical Odontomachus queens I usually see.

How I find queens is simple. I wait for a heavy rain, and once it stops, adventure outside. Due to heavy rains, new queens without eggs come up to the surface under leaves and pots. I simply lift up the pots, and usually find a frog, a pheidole colony, or a trap-jaw ant worker. Today I did find Ponera for once, but didn’t want to find the queen as soon as I lifted up the stone, Camponotus workers went for the cocoons. Rarely, you see a sharp movement which tends to be a trap jaw ant queen seeking shelter.

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 18 2022 - 5:19 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
If you want relictus, you need to go to archbold biological station or another similar area. They only nest in undisturbed sand scrub habitat.
  • ZTYguy likes this

#3 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted June 18 2022 - 6:24 PM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida

If you want relictus, you need to go to archbold biological station or another similar area. They only nest in undisturbed sand scrub habitat.

I go to a forest where they have been reported in the area, and I did find one queen but I kind of used a peanut butter jar to collect, and crushed it on accident. Hate myself for that.

I am a bit away from there, but I have a friend in the reported range. I am also moving into a undsiturbed place with sandy grasslands, and I did see a queen over there once, but I didn’t have a container on hand.

Edited by FloridaAnts, June 18 2022 - 6:28 PM.

• ZTYguy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users