• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I FOUND A QUEEN!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Idontexist - Posted June 12 2021 - 2:55 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
http://imgur.com/gallery/ftopBp0
WEH WEH WEH
I AM PROUD OF MYSELF
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 12 2021 - 4:04 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Tetramorium immigrans queen. Very easy species and perfect for beginners.

#3 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 12 2021 - 4:25 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I don't think you can ID this to species with those images. Also, if this is in Mexico, then that is highly unlikely. Its a Myrmicine queen, and that's as far as you can get with that image.

Also, generally, if you are going to say something like this with minimal detail please do so in chat.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 12 2021 - 4:38 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts

I don't think you can ID this to species with those images. Also, if this is in Mexico, then that is highly unlikely. Its a Myrmicine queen, and that's as far as you can get with that image.
Also, generally, if you are going to say something like this with minimal detail please do so in chat.

bruh it clearly has the head and body shape of Tetramorium immigrans. However, after a second look and judging by the fact that he may be in mexico, it could actually be pheidole sp. the head definitely seems pheidole-ish.

#5 Offline Idontexist - Posted June 12 2021 - 5:57 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I go for the myrmicine. How about some clear pictures of the queen? http://imgur.com/gallery/byPlCxV
Edit:
that photobombing drop of water. Oops!

#6 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 12 2021 - 7:34 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts

I go for the myrmicine. How about some clear pictures of the queen? http://imgur.com/gallery/byPlCxVEdit:
that photobombing drop of water. Oops!

where was this found? Also the pictures are still bad.

#7 Offline Idontexist - Posted June 13 2021 - 3:13 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Mexico. Near the gulf

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 13 2021 - 5:11 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Are Tetramorium even down there?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 13 2021 - 5:35 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

None similar to immigrans.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#10 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 13 2021 - 6:17 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
Well it could be pheidole or solenopsis, however the pictures are so bad that I'm not even comfortable identifying.

#11 Offline Idontexist - Posted June 14 2021 - 7:45 AM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
YOU GENIUS. THE QUEEN AND WORKERS LOOK LIKE SOLENOPSIS AND THEY ARE ALSO RED.THANK YOU

#12 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted June 14 2021 - 8:02 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

Definitely have better clearer images and from different perspectives: dorsal, lateral, cephalic and petiole if possible.  This is just generally what is needed for near positive identification.  Identification is not a guessing game but a data based exercise which is only as good as the data and the skill and experience of the identifier!!!

Edited by PurdueEntomology, June 14 2021 - 8:03 AM.

#13 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 15 2021 - 4:11 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

YOU GENIUS. THE QUEEN AND WORKERS LOOK LIKE SOLENOPSIS AND THEY ARE ALSO RED.THANK YOU

The caps are pretty obnoxious. And them being red is not a huge indicator as there are probably thousands of red ant species.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users