• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Heating or overheating that is the question.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline brian - Posted June 8 2021 - 6:28 PM

brian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationNorth West Indiana
Question for the colony here. I have a small dedicated room for my ants that is heated to a constant 75 degrees fahrenheit or 23 degrees Celsius in the summer. For my Camponotus Castaneus and Pennsylvanicus should I also keep using a heat mat under the corner of my formicariums? I can't use heat lights or heating elements over them. Only mats under them on a timer so at night it cools off for 9 hours. With the room that hot constantly are they needed or can I remove them? what's best for the ants?

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 9 2021 - 2:23 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
75 is not that warm from an ant’s perspective. Consider your own body’s optimal temperature for biological functions. I consider 75 the absolute minimum you could keep a colony barely chugging along.
  • brian, MinigunL5, Antcatcherpro3 and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline brian - Posted June 9 2021 - 2:33 AM

brian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationNorth West Indiana

75 is not that warm from an ant’s perspective. Consider your own body’s optimal temperature for biological functions. I consider 75 the absolute minimum you could keep a colony barely chugging along.

Would keeping the room at 80 to 85 be advised or just keep the heat mat under those corners? There never on the headed part. that's why I thought maybe to hot.

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 9 2021 - 3:34 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Warming the whole room is ideal if you can do that. 80-85 is a great range.

• brian likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline Chickalo - Posted June 9 2021 - 5:59 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

What ANTdrew said.  Some species do like heat and other don't however, so I'd keep that in mind.  Try to keep the room their in un-air conditioned if it's summer/hot where you are.  It also differs from colony to colony.  For instance, Myrmica rubra are supposed to absolutely simp water and go near heat, but my colony actually moves away from heat and does their best to stay off the water tower.

• brian likes this

シグナチャーです。예.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users