• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NicholasP's Formica Sanguinea Group (The Awakening)

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Offline NicholasP - Posted June 8 2021 - 4:50 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

And I just fixed the problem. With the power of sugar water. Chunky Formica is happy Formica.

• Antkeeper01 and Chickalo like this

#22 Offline NicholasP - Posted June 8 2021 - 5:30 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Yay. I forgot to say that one of the pupae was unraveled and it’s a Polyergus pupa! It’s still white colored though but it hasn’t died so I hope everything keeps going well.

• CatsnAnts and Chickalo like this

#23 Offline NicholasP - Posted June 9 2021 - 1:10 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

I just finished moving them into their petri nest now. I wanted to get this out of the way before they get their nanitics. High quality pictures will come tonight.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#24 Offline NicholasP - Posted June 10 2021 - 8:32 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Sorry guys! I feel asleep last night. But I now have the pictures! Enjoy.

Attached Images

• Capture2.PNG
  • Capture3.PNG
  • Capture4.PNG

• CheetoLord02, MinigunL5, Antkeeper01 and 2 others like this

#25 Offline ZTYguy - Posted June 10 2021 - 8:37 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Awesome!

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#26 Offline NicholasP - Posted June 10 2021 - 8:40 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Thank you! They had two larvae spin cocoons last night and it was really cool watching them pile dirt on the larvae.

• Antkeeper01 and ZTYguy like this

#27 Offline Chickalo - Posted June 10 2021 - 8:40 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Did you make that nest or did you buy it?  They look amazing in it nontheless!  Polyergus would be my favourite ant if it wasnt parasitic because of its awesome crimson colour.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

シグナチャーです。예.

#28 Offline NicholasP - Posted June 10 2021 - 8:46 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Did you make that nest or did you buy it?  They look amazing in it nontheless!  Polyergus would be my favourite ant if it wasnt parasitic because of its awesome crimson colour.

I actually did made that nest. I will be starting up a buisness for the nests very soon so stay posted!

Edited by NicholasP, June 10 2021 - 8:47 AM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#29 Offline NicholasP - Posted June 10 2021 - 8:48 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

I've also decided to name the queen "Valentina" which supposedly in latin means: Strong, Vigorous, and healthy. Let me know if you guys like that name.

#30 Offline NicholasP - Posted June 10 2021 - 8:49 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Polyergus in my opinion should be classified as intermediate or Expert level if you don't live near mountains.

#31 Offline NicholasP - Posted June 10 2021 - 8:54 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

These ants are very fun though if you get a colony going well.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#32 Offline ZTYguy - Posted June 10 2021 - 8:59 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

I live in SoCal. Where do I find them. I really want some now after seeing all these journals popping up.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#33 Offline NicholasP - Posted June 10 2021 - 9:05 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

I live in SoCal. Where do I find them. I really want some now after seeing all these journals popping up.

The problem is they're mountainous ants that live at around 8,000 ft and they're rare. They must conduct raids at least twice a month because they can't eat or even care for themselves without Formica hosts. They're mandibles are shaped in the form of a scythe like some Neivamyrmex which allows them to carry away the raided brood. They need a lot of brood. Also I'm not sure where to find them in CA. But before trying to keep them search up all the info on them possible. Once that is complete try to only take one small colony of Polyergus as to not hurt the ecosystem. And I am begging to you not to feed them fish flakes. After that try getting a Fortress formicarium from THA like Cheeto with his ants. And you should be good to go.

• Antkeeper01 and ZTYguy like this

#34 Offline NicholasP - Posted June 10 2021 - 9:45 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Also, Please check out CheetoLord02's Polyergus journal to learn a little bit more about Polyergus care.

#35 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted June 10 2021 - 10:01 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Sadly, I have to travle out of my town to find queens that aren't Camponotus. Our town is like the Camponotus target to take over, I could practically hear them in my sleep, Queen: GET EM CHILDREN, WE SHALL DOMINATE THE WORLD, MWAHAHAHA. :lol:

Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#36 Offline NicholasP - Posted June 10 2021 - 10:15 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Sadly, I have to travle out of my town to find queens that aren't Camponotus. Our town is like the Camponotus target to take over, I could practically hear them in my sleep, Queen: GET EM CHILDREN, WE SHALL DOMINATE THE WORLD, MWAHAHAHA. :lol:

lol

I already here my queen plotting to take down with just her nanitics a 10,000 worker formica colony lol.

#37 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted June 10 2021 - 10:18 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Lol, she is one cofident queen, while I, on the other hand have a queen with 20 workers who is to timid to take a step out of a test tube set up.

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#38 Offline NicholasP - Posted June 10 2021 - 10:19 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Lol, she is one cofident queen, while I, on the other hand have a queen with 20 workers who is to timid to take a step out of a test tube set up.

oof. I bet by the end of the week this queen will have biological workers.

#39 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted June 10 2021 - 10:21 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Also, this is just a random question: what do you feed your queen the following few weeks after the first nanitic arrives?

#40 Offline NicholasP - Posted June 10 2021 - 10:29 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Also, this is just a random question: what do you feed your queen the following few weeks after the first nanitic arrives?

do you mean for Polyergus?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users