• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Chickalo's Löng Lasses (Ponera pennsylvanica)

ponera pennsylvanica ponera pennsylvanica long lads chickalo lol this is useless

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Chickalo - Posted June 4 2021 - 12:01 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

So in the woods, I check the rock that had Camponotus castaneus until I flipped it then it had Slave Making Formica, then it had Crematogaster (Creamytoebastards), and after that it had Termites, and now it had a small colony Ponera pennsylvanica, which once I saw the queen I stuffed the leaf they were on into a small drug bottle.

Afterwards I took some photos and posted on discord:

ponera.jpg

ponera2.jpg

Does anyone have any tips on these species?  I noticed they aren't very good climbers...  I just love how they look though!  Very long and cute lol

Edited by Chickalo, June 7 2021 - 7:24 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, Antkeeper01 and TacticalHandleGaming like this

シグナチャーです。예.

#2 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted June 4 2021 - 6:19 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA
They look awesome!
  • Chickalo likes this

My YouTube channel :)

#3 Offline Chickalo - Posted June 7 2021 - 4:17 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Ponera are definitely one of the more strange species I've seen so far.  They're long bodies and thin length is cute, but I was talking more behaviour wize.  I don't have any fruit flies at the moment, I'll probably ask my mom or dad to pick some up at PetCo via phone call.  Until then, I gave them a tiny drop of honey which they didn't even touch!  They also are trying to wiggle their way through the cotton.  Since I'm kinda stuck at home I'm probably gonna make my best attempt to make a petri dish set up for them. 

• Kaelwizard likes this

シグナチャーです。예.

#4 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 7 2021 - 6:54 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

They generally are a lot more interested in protein than sugar. My queen accepted anything from a cricket leg to a springtail (though she had the best reaction when I fed her the springtail). I fed my queen pretty much only protein.

Also Long Lasses might be a better name (seeing as lad is generally used to describe a young man and workers and queens are females).

Edited by Kaelwizard, June 7 2021 - 6:56 AM.

• Chickalo likes this

#5 Offline Chickalo - Posted June 7 2021 - 7:24 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

They generally are a lot more interested in protein than sugar. My queen accepted anything from a cricket leg to a springtail (though she had the best reaction when I fed her the springtail). I fed my queen pretty much only protein.

Also Long Lasses might be a better name (seeing as lad is generally used to describe a young man and workers and queens are females).

Fixed!  Also, do you think they'd eat a baby mealworm?

シグナチャーです。예.

#6 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 7 2021 - 7:36 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Fixed! Also, do you think they'd eat a baby mealworm?
They might. You’ll want to cut it open.
  • Chickalo likes this

#7 Offline Chickalo - Posted June 7 2021 - 7:38 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

I'll try this.  Should I give them an outworld?  Or do they forage under rocks?  Like I said, some workers do seem to want to leave the test tube and forage.  Sorry if I'm bombarding you with questions btw :D

Edited by Chickalo, June 7 2021 - 7:39 AM.

シグナチャーです。예.

#8 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted June 7 2021 - 9:25 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

they usually forage under rocks

• Chickalo likes this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#9 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 7 2021 - 12:24 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

I'll try this. Should I give them an outworld? Or do they forage under rocks? Like I said, some workers do seem to want to leave the test tube and forage. Sorry if I'm bombarding you with questions btw :D
I generally only find them under rocks but they are not always the easiest ants to find, so I’m sure they forage elsewhere.

#10 Offline Chickalo - Posted June 7 2021 - 12:28 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Gave them a small meal worm and their reaction was hilarious!  When I opened the test tube, the workers trying to escape this time actually fled, as opposed to last time when they tried to escape.  Maybe they like their home now?  After a bit they began eating from it, and even the queen came over to try a bite!  She quickly fled however.  I got to see that they have a couple larvae.  Also, can I merge just workers and/or just queens?  I've heard they are very easy to merge and I saw a couple workers a few days ago without a container.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

シグナチャーです。예.

#11 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 7 2021 - 12:33 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
My queen died when I tried a worker introduction. Not sure if it was out of stress or if she was murdered.
  • Antkeeper01 and Chickalo like this

#12 Offline Chickalo - Posted June 8 2021 - 4:39 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

My queen died when I tried a worker introduction. Not sure if it was out of stress or if she was murdered.

Not sure if you know him, but someone from Wisconsin named Tbone in the AKE server welcomed me to the "Ponera club".  Anyways, he told me that he onced merged 7 colonies iirc, it went successful but there was some death.  I guess I'll merge one at a time if I ever do that lol

• Antkeeper01 likes this

シグナチャーです。예.

#13 Offline NicholasP - Posted June 8 2021 - 4:47 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Not sure if you know him, but someone from Wisconsin named Tbone in the AKE server welcomed me to the "Ponera club".  Anyways, he told me that he onced merged 7 colonies iirc, it went successful but there was some death.  I guess I'll merge one at a time if I ever do that lol

Tbone is a very nice person. He has a lot of useful information about ants and especially about ants up north. I trust him.

#14 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted June 8 2021 - 5:38 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

can I be part of that?

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

#15 Offline NicholasP - Posted June 8 2021 - 6:24 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

can I be part of that?

Check out CheetoLord02's Youtube channel "Arthropod Antics" near the bottom of every video I believe there's a link to the server.

• Chickalo likes this

#16 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 8 2021 - 6:27 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

can I be part of that?

Check out CheetoLord02's Youtube channel "Arthropod Antics" near the bottom of every video I believe there's a link to the server.

If I'm not mistaken he already is. He means the Ponera club I think.

Edited by Kaelwizard, June 8 2021 - 6:27 AM.

#17 Offline Chickalo - Posted June 8 2021 - 6:27 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

can I be part of that?

Otherwise the link is https://discord.com/invite/antsiirc

シグナチャーです。예.

#18 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted June 8 2021 - 6:31 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

I'm alerady on the arthropod antics dicord server

#19 Offline NicholasP - Posted June 8 2021 - 6:55 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

here's a video that has the link to Ant Keeping and Ethology the link is in the description.

(2300) 3 queen Pheidole colony in an Arthropod Antics setup - YouTube

Edited by NicholasP, June 8 2021 - 6:55 AM.

#20 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 8 2021 - 8:32 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

here's a video that has the link to Ant Keeping and Ethology the link is in the description.

(2300) 3 queen Pheidole colony in an Arthropod Antics setup - YouTube

A link was already provided and he said he is already in the server.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ponera, pennsylvanica, ponera pennsylvanica, long lads, chickalo, lol this is useless

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users