• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant feeding spiral

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Barristan - Posted June 2 2021 - 11:32 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

I built a small ant feeding spiral with aluminum wire and tested it outside:

If you have a small formicarium you can't really observe ant trails but with this small spiral it is possible and you can also better use vertical space.

• MrPurpleB, Mettcollsuss, Canadant and 5 others like this

#2 Offline cap_backfire - Posted June 21 2021 - 8:51 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

I'm curious as to the point of this.  Does it help them think they are travelling farther to get food?   I know some ants prefer to travel significant distances to forage.   Sorry but this is DEFINITELY a noob question.    

Whatever it's for it looks really cool!   And your ants DEFINITELY love it.  

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 21 2021 - 9:00 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

I'm curious as to the point of this.  Does it help them think they are travelling farther to get food?   I know some ants prefer to travel significant distances to forage.   Sorry but this is DEFINITELY a noob question.    

i think its just supposed to look cool.
  • Barristan, cap_backfire and Antcatcherpro3 like this

#4 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted June 21 2021 - 9:37 AM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

From my understanding the longer path to the food item is supposed to create a foraging trail. The user mentions using this spiral for less spacious formicarium/outworld. The spiral helps facilitate trails in spaces otherwise too short to allow a neat trail to form. Mantibant seems to be right, probably for an aesthetic purpose. Foraging trials can be interesting and cool to observe.
  • Barristan, cap_backfire and Antcatcherpro3 like this

#5 Offline cap_backfire - Posted June 21 2021 - 10:07 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

This is such a cool idea.   I'm definitely going to try this for my next formicarium-or something for it.  

#6 Offline Barristan - Posted June 23 2021 - 9:56 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany
As some already mentioned it doesn't have any benefit for the ants.

But when I thought about it I figured out a possible benefit for some ant species. Not for feeding purposes but to provide them a place to dump their dead. Some ant species tend to carry around their dead for quite some time to find a suitable place. One of the reasons might be that the distance is not long enough away from the nest. I think there was a study that ants tend to dump their dead far away from the nest to prevent the spread of parasites, disease, etc.

So if you add such a spiral with an empty place on top where they can dump the dead maybe that could reduce the carrying around of dead ants. But I haven't tested it, maybe it also doesn't work...
  • cap_backfire likes this

#7 Offline cap_backfire - Posted June 24 2021 - 7:13 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

I have seen my Trachymyrmex carrying around their dead, basically forever.   Even after making their formicarium about 5 times larger.   The idea of putting a cup or something up in the branches is solid.  I might try that.  They have lots of vertical space already and just giving them a spot to put their dead would definitely be less work on the poor morticians in my colony!   
I love the concept of this spiral to give them the premise of foraging for longer, and the foraging trail is so awesome for YOU to watch.   Awesome.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users