• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

AntsCali's Awesome Aphaenogaster meggommenta

#apheanogaster #journal #aphaenogastermeggommenta

20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted October 10 2023 - 7:05 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)

POPULAR

Its time for my second desert ant journal, and its an awesome species, Aphaenogaster meggommenta  :yahoo:

Never heard of them? Well hardly anybody keeps them, let along getting them to workers. I am really excited for this semi rare species. They are extremely nocturnal so I was lucky to spot one at my blacklight. I originally thought this was M.navajo in the darkness, but I identified her later. Super glad I caught her, because I assumed she was infertile since she was still flying fine, but she shed her wings when I git home and laid 6 eggs in her test tube.

She now has one worker and one that is very close to eclosing, maybe a few hours. I noticed the worker helping the developed "pupae", cleaning her legs  :). The queen took about a month and 15 days to get her first nanitic. She was pretty chill in her founding stage, but is now a bit more jumpy after her first worker eclosed. From my observations, this is pretty common. Maybe because the young worker is weak, so her mother is more defensive over the worker? I also noticed the same thing with my P.hyatti, found in my Pheidole journal.

Heres a picture and a video of the colony:

Meg

(the video is currently uploading so it may not show up if you are reading this shortly after it has been posted)

Hoping for an awesome Aphaenogaster meggommenta colony in the future!

Thanks for checking out my journal 

• dspdrew, ANTdrew, UtahAnts and 7 others like this

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#2 Offline 100lols - Posted October 10 2023 - 7:08 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
Wow!!! I really love yellow ants… I have a feeling this species is going to be so cool. Wishing you the best :D
  • AntsCali098 likes this

#3 Offline bmb1bee - Posted October 10 2023 - 7:38 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Will be following this journal carefully.  :lol:

• AntsCali098 and 100lols like this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 11 2023 - 1:52 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Excellent! Aphaenogaster are perhaps the best ants to keep.
  • bmb1bee, AntsCali098 and 100lols like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted October 11 2023 - 12:15 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Excellent! Aphaenogaster are perhaps the best ants to keep.

They are underrated!
  • bmb1bee and 100lols like this

Wishlist:

#6 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted December 20 2023 - 6:00 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
It's been a while since the last update due to the slow growth of these beauties. They are now up to 6 workers but have quite an appetite. They are still my most relaxed ants, and they hardly care when exposed to light.

In my experience, they've been quite slow growers. My theory is that they start to grow faster with more workers, similar to Camponotus.

They currently have some small larvae and a batch of eggs.

PXL_20231221_015131197.MP.jpg PXL_20231221_015155445.MP.jpg PXL_20231221_015216313.MP.jpg PXL_20231221_015226780.MP.jpg PXL_20231221_015252216.MP.jpg
  • TacticalHandleGaming, rptraut, bmb1bee and 4 others like this

Wishlist:

#7 Offline bmb1bee - Posted December 20 2023 - 8:31 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Would recommend fruit flies or termites. Small and soft-bodied insects could boost their brood production, like with my Camponotus and Formica. They go more crazy with those than they do with dubias and mealworms lol.

• rptraut, AntsCali098 and 100lols like this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#8 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted December 20 2023 - 9:09 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Would recommend fruit flies or termites. Small and soft-bodied insects could boost their brood production, like with my Camponotus and Formica. They go more crazy with those than they do with dubias and mealworms lol.

I've wanted to get fruit flies for a while. I do prefer the pre-killed feeders, but if I see some I might get them.
  • 100lols likes this

Wishlist:

#9 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 20 2023 - 9:50 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, SoCal
omg, those ants are absolutely stunning! I would love to keep a colony of those. I love the pale yellow coloration on those ants. Keep going and I hope you get a very big colony of these ants.

#10 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 21 2023 - 3:35 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I've wanted to get fruit flies for a while. I do prefer the pre-killed feeders, but if I see some I might get them.
Fruit flies should also be fed pre-killed to prevent grain mites. I use a fluon lined funnel to shake a bunch into a test tube that I then pop in the freezer. I then dip them in boiling water a few seconds. Most commercial fruit fly cultures are literally teeming with grain mites.
  • rptraut, bmb1bee, AntsCali098 and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#11 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted December 21 2023 - 8:36 AM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Fruit flies should also be fed pre-killed to prevent grain mites. I use a fluon lined funnel to shake a bunch into a test tube that I then pop in the freezer. I then dip them in boiling water a few seconds. Most commercial fruit fly cultures are literally teeming with grain mites.

Thanks for the suggestion. That seems like a good idea
  • rptraut and 100lols like this

Wishlist:

#12 Offline 100lols - Posted December 21 2023 - 7:46 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
Absolutely stunning!! Also I do agree, and feel some soft bodied insects are important :) plus the more variety the better!!
  • rptraut, AntsCali098 and AsdinAnts like this

#13 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 21 2023 - 8:44 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I just recently started using fruit flies myself. Luckily I never got any grain mites in my culture and I've been breeding my own ever since, grain mite free. I found the easiest way to breed them in smaller amounts for feeding ant colonies. I'll post a thread on it later.

• rptraut, bmb1bee and 100lols like this

#14 Offline 100lols - Posted December 21 2023 - 11:00 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

I just recently started using fruit flies myself. Luckily I never got any grain mites in my culture and I've been breeding my own ever since, grain mite free. I found the easiest way to breed them in smaller amounts for feeding ant colonies. I'll post a thread on it later.
Cool! that would be awesome, *edit: thank you Andrew!!!

Edited by 100lols, December 21 2023 - 11:01 PM.

• rptraut likes this

#15 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted January 8 2024 - 5:48 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts

I took some nice photos of this colony, so this will be a bit of a photo dump. The eggs have grown into larvae, and much faster then I expected, as they are already almost pupae  :D

Aphaenogaster brood
Aphaenogaster
Aphaenogaster 2
Aphaenogaster 3
Aphaenogaster 4
Aphaenogaster 5

• ANTdrew, TacticalHandleGaming, rptraut and 4 others like this

Wishlist:

#16 Offline bmb1bee - Posted January 8 2024 - 7:52 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

I absolutely love these new photos of them, especially the 4th and 5th ones. Keep up the good work in caring for these desert gems!

#17 Offline michiganantsinmyyard - Posted January 23 2024 - 10:23 AM

michiganantsinmyyard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationCommerce Township, Michigan

Crazy beautiful ants.

• AntsCali098 likes this

#18 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted February 4 2024 - 10:24 PM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Very cool looking ants and neat pictures! Good luck on your colony! (y)

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

#19 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted March 18 2024 - 6:16 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
Eggs!

Screenshot_20240318-191252.png

The queen laid for the first time since last year, and the colony is well on their way to a good future! They remain at 6 workers.

Screenshot_20240318-191306.png

Thanks for checking out my journal!
  • B_rad0806, TacticalHandleGaming and bmb1bee like this

Wishlist:

#20 Offline bmb1bee - Posted March 18 2024 - 7:58 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

That looks like mold on the sponge. I'd move them to a fresh tube if I were you, as the mold I get in some of my tubes seems to grow over and kill the eggs if not taken care of.

• AntsCali098 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #apheanogaster, #journal, #aphaenogastermeggommenta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users