• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

what are some tips on keeping Pogonomyrmex californicus?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline KadinB - Posted May 30 2021 - 9:39 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

I've never kept the spe before and i just bought 3 queens and i would like to know some info on keeping them. I know the basics on keeping them. THX!

#2 Offline AntsLA - Posted June 18 2021 - 12:59 PM

AntsLA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
I keep mine in deli cups filled about 1/3 with dirt and a small test tube of water. Keep the humidity high and put a small amount of seeds in there. You'll also probably have to check for fungus growth regularly and remove it as best you can if you see any.

#3 Offline Broncos - Posted June 18 2021 - 2:04 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California
give them tiny bits of walnuts and a cricket leg every 2 days. They need a non direct water supply. Water feeders don't work too well for pogonomyrmex. Try a wet cotton ball or if you are keeping them in a test tube, you won't need to worry about water until it runs out, but by then, they should have workers. Keep them in the heat and humidity relatively low. When they get workers, put the test tube in a small foraging area or buy a formicarium that is either plaster, ytong, dirt, or grout like in tar heel ants formicaria. I would strongly recommend tar heel ants formicaria. I have not lost a colony in those and I've had at least 7 in them. Mainly the mini hearths for smaller colonies. Good luck.

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users