• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

SirDuckington’s Acromyrmex versicolor journal

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline SirDuckington - Posted May 18 2021 - 5:09 PM

SirDuckington

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

POPULAR

While I’ve had this species for quite some time now, I haven’t considered writing a journal for them until now. This is also my first journal so here it goes.

It was September 15th of last year when I received the three queen colony of Acromyrmex from a friend who had caught them during nuptial flights. The colony was small, consisting of only a few larvae

and a small chunk of fungus in a Petri dish nest.

a4610f4d9970b9e18c9500cc8c3f0f97.jpg

Care was straight forward and only required me to toss some leaves and oats into their outworld every once in a while, the ants did the rest of the work and fed their fungus as expected. Growth was smooth and the fungus steadily grew in size. The ants got their first worker on September 29th, only two weeks after receiving them.

aedfde5a92f892a7ddeda5462328ca11.jpg

4b09a27d42265cda8dd0db5df8cd9ad0.jpg

October hit and the ants continued to produce workers and grow the fungus. On October third, two more nanitics eclosed, 9 days later, three more workers had eclosed, bringing the colony to a grand total of 6 workers. At this point the colony truly began to grow as the ants finally began foraging and harvesting leaves to bring back to the nest. The queens had laid a bunch of new eggs, and the next generation of workers was soon to eclose.

ef85612868829596e4dbaa26a66ee865.jpg

Unfortunately, this was when everything started to go downhill. The fungus began to die off and within only a few weeks the colony was basically fungusless.

0124e570ecc86d7c8a0403cbbb3ea434.jpg

Looking back on this moment makes me feel like a complete idiot since the entire situation was my fault and could have easily been avoided. It was as simple as me not knowing what wet hydrostone looked like, and letting the colony dry out to the extent that the fungus died off. I’m honestly quite lucky the ants didn’t die along with it since they must’ve been without an acceptable water source for days. Fortunately, the kind man I had gotten my Acromyrmex from had extra colonies in his care, so I received yet another Acromyrmex colony, determined to revive the colony that had been under my care for months. I didn’t know much at the time, but I did know that despite Acromyrmex versicolor’s monogynous tendencies, the Arizona populations were an exception, and could contain multiple queens without any problems. So on November 20th I proceeded to combine the two colonies. I first moved in the healthy fungus, then went on to dip the workers in vinegar to remove their scent. After about half an hour of no fighting, I moved in the queen and to my surprise, it worked. I now had a four queen colony of Acromyrmex versicolor.

Only four days later on the 24th of November, the colony began to grow again. The ants began placing fungus on the ceiling of the Petri dish, workers were constantly bringing in new leaves, the queens started laying eggs, and I made sure to water the nest properly.

f2eddba2ed571cdcfdfe26a9e65a4c9b.jpg
f7645c0b9e50c1e72d7a8fe448faba5c.jpg

After this the colony began to grow quite smoothly. I noticed that fungus growth and brood production slowed down a bit during the winter months but they got right back to work when February rolled around.

5321eff0a6e777596a6ca4011b782374.jpg
ac96a2fa65d8a0985fde8a7f1332df92.jpg

Fastforward to now, and the colony is doing amazing. They’ve stuffed the Petri dish full of fungus and brood, and have begun expanding into a shiny new Petri dish. This one is much larger and deeper than the one before so I’m expecting to see some cool hanging fungus structures. They’ve also been going through leaves surprisingly quick resulting in lots of new fungus growth in the dish. They’ve already begun building tiny fungus stalactites from the ceiling and have some small fungus balls growing from the ground. If they’ve accomplished all this within only 5 months, I’m really looking forward to where this colony will be at the end of the year.

b9c4d9474fc83e7c6c49331223bd19ad.jpg
551aeffaed5d3468bfbe99c8aa7cd567.jpg
af2c64eced12bcef05c22dd30617060c.jpg

Edited by SirDuckington, May 18 2021 - 5:25 PM.

• Zeiss, MrPurpleB, YsTheAnt and 8 others like this

#2 Offline ZTYguy - Posted May 18 2021 - 9:39 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Nice, love it when new Acromyrmex journals pop up. I had a same thing with a fungus decline but it was my ants fault for being dumb and chopping it up and throwing it out. Anyways hope to see this colony grow nice and big.

Edited by ZTYguy, May 18 2021 - 9:39 PM.

• Antkeeper01 and eea like this
Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#3 Offline futurebird - Posted July 10 2021 - 7:53 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

These photos are lovely. I'd love to see more of this colony. 

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 10 2021 - 2:12 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Fungus grower journals never get updated. It’s like a law of nature, the exception being Cheeto’s journals.
  • CheetoLord02, Antkeeper01, ZTYguy and 2 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline NicholasP - Posted July 10 2021 - 3:22 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Fungus grower journals never get updated. It’s like a law of nature, the exception being Cheeto’s journals.

SirDuckington has been pretty busy lately though. So like lets not get annoyed about no updates.

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 10 2021 - 4:01 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I know, just a general observation. Not throwing shade or anything, but if I had ants like these, I’d journal like there was no tomorrow.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#7 Offline SirDuckington - Posted July 10 2021 - 8:45 PM

SirDuckington

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

;)

7/10

(:
I’m finally updating this journal per the request of very many pleading souls, and being Cheetos apprentice, I must live up to his expectations and update my journals.

So,

I think it’s been about two long months since my last update unfortunately, so, as expected, the colony has grown quite a lot. The new petri dish that they had started filling with fungus is now at full capacity. Because of this rapid growth, I had to give them a new outworld and also connected a much larger container for them to move into.

7a1ffdb4796ca5a38cb9797bd4813993.jpg

26be124d02896d3fe29964b07f44e21b.jpg

They’ve only just started exploring the new nest but I expect them to move in shortly since there really isn’t much space available for the colony. I assume they are just delaying the move because of the dying fungus in their old Petri dish. Luckily this is just natural fungus death and is quickly being replaced by new fungus from the larger dish.

c39856716612ec5d0fa03f47d625f08a.jpg

One thing that I absolutely love about this colony now is seeing them cut the plants and flowers I put in the outworld. Since they’ve finally grown to a size where sending ants out of the nest isn’t risking the life of the entire colony, they’ll send out a whole buncha workers to cut and bring leaves back to the nest. All this leaf cutting has also led to tremendous fungus growth which is always welcome.

One odd thing I noticed was that the Acromyrmex were very picky with the parts of the flowers they ate, those usually being the exterior petals and thinner parts of the flower. After they were all done with the easy bits, they would leave the stem and more fibrous parts of the plant for me to clean up. Of course I don’t expect them to eat every single piece of the plant, but the trash they were leaving behind was more than I would’ve liked.

Luckily Cheeto owns an atta colony and also had problems with picky ants. For his atta, spraying the plants with water seemed to send the entire colony out to cut leaves, so I thought why not try it with my Acromyrmex. Lo and behold, spraying my Acromyrmex crusty plants with water seemed to do the trick and I was no longer throwing away perfectly good Acromyrmex plants.

85b973b346cf3dd776eec3b8e2f87d04.jpg

a5a66ef0886347744810d3b0db9c045c.jpg

Their new outworld has also been working just as I had expected. I kinda wanted to make it more natural with dirt, rocks, branches and such while also allowing them to make their signature volcano mounds like they do in the wild. I was able to trail both tubes underneath the dirt to act as underground tunnels which would lead to the center of the container where the ants would build their next entrance. As I had expected, the ants started to build a mini volcano mound around the entrance to their nest. It’s not much, but I expect it to grow larger as the colony gets bigger workers.

1b6c78e2db535dc2addfc95ff543ad1b.jpg

Also I plan to do updates more frequently, as well as finally make some journals on species I’ve been wanting to add for a while 

Edited by SirDuckington, July 10 2021 - 9:00 PM.

• AnthonyP163, B_rad0806, CheetoLord02 and 4 others like this

#8 Offline Daniel - Posted July 11 2021 - 12:51 AM

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationFort Mohave, Arizona
Incredible. Thank you for sharing.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 11 2021 - 1:50 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Wow! I have no words.

#10 Offline futurebird - Posted July 11 2021 - 4:01 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Wow that fungus is gorgeous. And the way they make pillars to maximize area... it seems almost more efficient than just making a big ball. I always wonder what simple rules the ants have that lead to these structures. It must be something like "add the leaf to an existing fungus, but if humidity is X do Y ... etc" I'm really interested in modeling such structure creation. It's kinda what got me (a math girl) interested in ants in the first place. 

It almost has a honeycomb like pattern to it... but less ordered. Which might help explain how creatures like bees can make structures like combs when they obviously don't know what a hexagon is. 

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#11 Offline SirDuckington - Posted July 11 2021 - 9:30 AM

SirDuckington

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Wow that fungus is gorgeous. And the way they make pillars to maximize area... it seems almost more efficient than just making a big ball. I always wonder what simple rules the ants have that lead to these structures. It must be something like "add the leaf to an existing fungus, but if humidity is X do Y ... etc" I'm really interested in modeling such structure creation. It's kinda what got me (a math girl) interested in ants in the first place. 

It almost has a honeycomb like pattern to it... but less ordered. Which might help explain how creatures like bees can make structures like combs when they obviously don't know what a hexagon is. 

Yea its been really interesting seeing them grow it over the past months. The way the expand it horizontally and leave a small gap at the bottom for ants to crawl under is really fascinating. I'm interested to see how they'll grow the fungus in the larger container I added since its probably too high for them to start from the top. Maybe they'll grow it upwards and attach it to the lid, then hollow out the bottom? Who knows. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users