• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ponerine's millipedes

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ponerinecat - Posted October 30 2020 - 4:05 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Millipedes:

Brachycibe rosea

Brachycibe producta

Past:

Unidentified parajulidae

Striaria sp.

Brachyiulus sp.

Polyxenus sp.

Tylobolus sp.

Sigmocheir furcata

Octoglena anura

Unidentified Macrosternodesmidae

Unidentified Xystodesmidae

Oxidus gracilis

Don't have as much of these as my other taxa, but I recently obtained another 2-3 species so I might as well make this.

Edited by ponerinecat, June 14 2021 - 8:04 AM.

• ANTdrew and Pom like this

#2 Offline ponerinecat - Posted October 30 2020 - 5:21 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Macrosternodesmidae sp. These are tiny blind millipedes that were collected in the garden. Had to do a bit of sifting to get them, some were found about a foot underground.

CSC_4284.JPG

Polydesmidae sp. Found these today by a creek, usual cyanide smell and pale coloration. Smaller than the others like it I see, but still not a bad size.

CSC_4350.JPG

Heres a juvie of what I presume to be the same species.

CSC_4378.JPG

• ANTdrew and Swirlysnowflake like this

#3 Offline Devi - Posted October 30 2020 - 5:25 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Awesome!  I find so many millipedes, I wish I could give some of mine to you!  Lol. How do you go about culturing millipedes?

Edited by Devi, October 30 2020 - 5:29 PM.

#4 Offline ponerinecat - Posted October 31 2020 - 8:09 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Awesome!  I find so many millipedes, I wish I could give some of mine to you!  Lol. How do you go about culturing millipedes?

I've actually never had much success with millipedes, but a deep layer of spongy substrate topped with a thick layer of organic material should work for the most generic species. Millipedes can be very specialized, care tends to vary among species.

#5 Offline Devi - Posted October 31 2020 - 8:16 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

I've actually never had much success with millipedes, but a deep layer of spongy substrate topped with a thick layer of organic material should work for the most generic species. Millipedes can be very specialized, care tends to vary among species.

Interesting... Thanks!

#6 Offline ponerinecat - Posted October 31 2020 - 8:30 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Those pedes I found yesterday were identified as Oxidus gracilis, a very common species.

#7 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 10 2020 - 2:14 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Found a lot of Polyxenus, hope these do better than the last. Going with an all local materials setup this time.

CSC_5471.JPG

• Arthroverts likes this

#8 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted November 10 2020 - 3:19 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Found a lot of Polyxenus, hope these do better than the last. Going with an all local materials setup this time.

attachicon.gifCSC_5471.JPG

i ordered these from bugsincyberspace a year or so ago, they lived a few months for me before dying. they seemed to spend a lot of time on the rotting wood, completely ignoring everything else i put in there. 

My YouTube channel :)

#9 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 10 2020 - 3:45 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

attachicon.gifCSC_5471.JPG

i ordered these from bugsincyberspace a year or so ago, they lived a few months for me before dying. they seemed to spend a lot of time on the rotting wood, completely ignoring everything else i put in there. 

I got mine to breed last time before they disappeared. The native ones here live entirely underground, we most likely didn't have the same species.

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

#10 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 24 2020 - 7:04 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Found some species of chordeumatidae, unusual millipedes that prefer to run rather than curl up.

CSC_6594.JPG

Also picked up a couple more xystodesmidae.

CSC_6859.JPG

CSC_6874.JPG

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

#11 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 29 2020 - 3:17 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Found some Striaria sp, love these guys. My last batch died in their own culture so I'm throwing these in the tank.

CSC_7303.JPG

• Swirlysnowflake and Devi like this

#12 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 24 2020 - 7:42 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

More Striaria. These also appear to feed on fungus, to an extent.

CSC_8168.JPG

CSC_8172.JPG

CSC_0320.JPG

The chordeumatidae have been brought down to caseyidae. Very common under shaded rocks, collected a lot more.

CSC_0354.JPG

CSC_0370.JPG

And I collected some blaniulidae, which have very pretty reddish spots around the spiracles. Adults are brown, so it's not as visible on them.

CSC_0464.JPG

CSC_0454.JPG

• Arthroverts likes this

#13 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 14 2021 - 8:17 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Well, I'm down to only Brachycybe at this point  :lol: Getting more and more into these andrognathids and planning on collecting some more native species/genera. In the meantime have some pictures of said Brachycybe and some wild millipedes I did not collect.

CSC_0797.JPG

CSC_0776.JPG

Wild Octoglena.

CSC_0591.JPG

CSC_0593.JPG

Wild individual of what I think is Paeromopus angusticeps, one of our best juliforms if you ask me. Beautiful colors and a pleasing but not striking textured surface.

CSC_0580.JPG

CSC_0578.JPG

• ANTdrew and Antkeeper01 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users