• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Kit’s Trachymyrmex Journal

journal trachymyrmex leaf cutters

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted May 21 2021 - 1:22 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
Founding

Just yesterday afternoon I went to look in my yard to see if any queens were flying that day. Low hopes since Formica dominated my yard to the point of there not even being tetramorium. I was walking by a Formica nest when I noticed a nest hole right beside the base of an “oak” tree, this day I found 5 new species in one little area not even being bothered by the Formica ants right beside it. This day I caught a trachymyrmex colony with two queens about ten workers and a decent amount of fungus. It’s hugely likely that this is a colony from last year that just woke up and started re growing their fungus and it’s also highly likely that they die, but I will share this experience because other than in Virginia Beach and surrounding areas this species is not only very rare but this is also a new area they have been found in.B78B9EEE-1766-402C-A57C-F1A5A0E23B5D.jpeg 0C328E08-1C9B-43C7-91DA-D99308560222.jpeg EF812F74-E14C-4BFE-B909-DE66AE612434.jpeg 3F8E5E79-2F10-47FE-A140-2E42A38F9DA6.jpeg

Edited by KitsAntVa, May 21 2021 - 1:26 PM.

• TacticalHandleGaming likes this
We don’t talk about that

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 21 2021 - 1:26 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Very nice! How far down did you dig?

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#3 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted May 21 2021 - 1:35 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
Not very far, about half a foot to a foot.
  • TennesseeAnts, Antkeeper01 and ZTYguy like this
We don’t talk about that

#4 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted May 27 2021 - 4:29 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
Fear Not They Have Not Died!
This colony has amazed me by surviving and taking on the odds, my humidity chamber works quite well and they have been using their outworld often now. Sadly we only have 1 queen and a couple workers because the queen tried to hide and drowned in a crack but other than that they have grown two small bits of fungus since capture and have doubled its size with oats, lettuce, clovers, rose petals, and honey which i'm very happy about. I lost all fear of losing this colony starting yesterday when my step father showed a video he took of a Trachy worker carrying a cut oak leaf and he even got to know where it went! Hopefully I can catch some queens this year for my own colony and for some people that want them in VA!34E4717E-A053-47A8-8F94-F5EF15B14238.jpeg 251CEA5B-D415-4237-8467-6CA0EA485E0B.jpeg 922C18C9-B18B-496F-B6AF-A1612CBA2542.jpeg

Edited by KitsAntVa, May 27 2021 - 5:11 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, Fatatoille, Antkeeper01 and 2 others like this
We don’t talk about that

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 27 2021 - 4:36 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yup! I’m counting on you, bro!
  • TennesseeAnts, KitsAntVa and ZTYguy like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted May 27 2021 - 5:11 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
Pics added
  • ZTYguy likes this
We don’t talk about that

#7 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 27 2021 - 8:17 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Awesome! Be sure to try fresh rose petals. My colonies love them.
  • ZTYguy likes this

#8 Online ZTYguy - Posted May 27 2021 - 8:31 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Awesome!

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#9 Offline aznphenom - Posted May 27 2021 - 8:39 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

@tennesseeAnts Was it you that also said you find them around oak trees? I know someone did. Now I'm very curious if oak trees only grow in well drained soil or something.

• TennesseeAnts likes this
Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#10 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 27 2021 - 8:51 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

@tennesseeAnts Was it you that also said you find them around oak trees? I know someone did. Now I'm very curious if oak trees only grow in well drained soil or something.

Yes, it probably was, though many people on here have observed the same thing.

#11 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted May 27 2021 - 8:59 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Funny thing is that my step father said the workers were heading toward a rose bush with a leaf in its mouth, Since I have 2 rose bushes and a flower bush (don't know what kind) I have a ton of food for them that even the ants picked to live by.

• TennesseeAnts, ZTYguy and TacticalHandleGaming like this
We don’t talk about that

#12 Online ZTYguy - Posted May 27 2021 - 9:10 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Leafcutters do dumb stuff like that. My Acromyrmex do crap like that all the time. hehe

Edited by ZTYguy, May 27 2021 - 9:10 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#13 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 27 2021 - 9:56 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Oak trees are the predominant trees of our forests, so they grow in basically all conditions from dry slopes to standing water in wetlands. There are also many, many species each with different growth habits.

• TennesseeAnts and TacticalHandleGaming like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: journal, trachymyrmex, leaf cutters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users