• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mite treatment?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Leo - Posted May 15 2021 - 6:22 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Hello!

So my Odontomachus monticola colony had been cruising pretty smoothly, until they contracted like, a million mites. Now many of the workers are covered from head to toe with mites, but most mites congregate on the abdomen, the head and legs. This has slowed their growth greatly, and so I wish to completely eradicate every single one of those ugly little [censored] mites off the ants. Any tips on how to do so?

#2 Offline Queen - Posted May 15 2021 - 9:48 PM

Queen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSan Gabriel Valley

Hello!

So my Odontomachus monticola colony had been cruising pretty smoothly, until they contracted like, a million mites. Now many of the workers are covered from head to toe with mites, but most mites congregate on the abdomen, the head and legs. This has slowed their growth greatly, and so I wish to completely eradicate every single one of those ugly little [censored] mites off the ants. Any tips on how to do so?

I remember watching a YT video where someone cut a slice of lemon into the outworld and then the ants did everything else themselves. Then again, I never tried it.

#3 Offline Leo - Posted May 15 2021 - 10:21 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

It didn't work, unfortunately 

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 16 2021 - 3:07 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
The lemon thing is a dumb myth that we should let die. What you want to do is order some predatory mites. Hypoaspis miles is a good species if you can get them. I ordered several species last summer from a bio control company called Nature’s Good Guys. Not sure if they ship out to Asia, though.
  • Leo and NPLT like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users