• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello from Canada!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Asistea_Roblox - Posted May 11 2021 - 9:16 AM

Asistea_Roblox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNS Canada

Hi! I'm Asistea_Roblox, but please call me Asistea :)

I love ants and plan on keeping my own colony one day! I have a HUGE obsession with Ants Life on Roblox. My username is Asistea.

I just got into ants and can't wait for nuptial flights this year! It'd be nice to talk to some people in my area, I haven't seen a nuptial flight around here since 2 years ago...  :| I didn't even know what it meant back then.

• Chickalo and Auait like this

#2 Offline ZTYguy - Posted May 11 2021 - 9:19 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Welcome! Go out to parks or any nature places at night and your bound to find something.

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#3 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 11 2021 - 9:37 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Hi! I'm Asistea_Roblox, but please call me Asistea :)

I love ants and plan on keeping my own colony one day! I have a HUGE obsession with Ants Life on Roblox. My username is Asistea.

I just got into ants and can't wait for nuptial flights this year! It'd be nice to talk to some people in my area, I haven't seen a nuptial flight around here since 2 years ago...  :| I didn't even know what it meant back then.

Welcome! I didn't notice nuptial flights until I actually started keeping ants, so I think it is just one of those things you don't notice unless you pay attention.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#4 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted May 11 2021 - 10:25 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Hello, and welcome!

My YouTube channel :)

#5 Offline Lillyrose - Posted May 11 2021 - 12:22 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
Hello and welcome! It's nice to meet you

#6 Offline Canadian anter - Posted May 11 2021 - 1:29 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Welcome :)

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#7 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 11 2021 - 4:33 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Nice to see another canadian here. Camponotus should be flying soon, look under and in logs or under stones with wood chips underneath if you miss the actual flight.

Edited by Manitobant, May 11 2021 - 4:33 PM.

• Chickalo and Auait like this

#8 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted June 30 2021 - 10:39 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
I love ant life but I don't ply anymore

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#9 Offline Auait - Posted July 11 2021 - 12:43 AM

Auait

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello all, very new to this whole forms thing. And we'll ant keeping I guess. My 12 year old son has been into ants for years now. Watching YouTube video on it. And this summer I have agreed to helping him start up his own ant farm. We are going to try ans diy a farm and learn and study as a summer bonding thing. Any and all help is welcomed. I have a drawing on what we are thinking of starting if anyone wants to look and help with input. Thanks, and I'm looking forward to making friends to help us along our journey.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#10 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted July 11 2021 - 12:46 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

Hello all, very new to this whole forms thing. And we'll ant keeping I guess. My 12 year old son has been into ants for years now. Watching YouTube video on it. And this summer I have agreed to helping him start up his own ant farm. We are going to try ans diy a farm and learn and study as a summer bonding thing. Any and all help is welcomed. I have a drawing on what we are thinking of starting if anyone wants to look and help with input. Thanks, and I'm looking forward to making friends to help us along our journey.

I'm sorry i love correcting people its an ant colony not an ant farm, and piece of advice don't buy antscanada products, they are highly expensive and are lower quality they arent even acrylic they are just plastic!

Edited by Antkeeper01, July 11 2021 - 12:48 AM.

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#11 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 11 2021 - 12:50 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Hi and welcome! Antkeeping is a great hobby and I hope you will enjoy it just like I myself and many others have! Happy antkeeping!
Oh and I would like to see pics of the drawing.

Edited by ANTS_KL, July 11 2021 - 12:51 AM.

• Auait likes this

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#12 Offline Auait - Posted July 11 2021 - 1:00 AM

Auait

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I was looking at ants Canada today, and didn't like the prices. I know when starting a hobby, you want to do thing right. So it not always the cheapest of things. But 80 for a overworld. Was kind of crazy. Also I'll try and remember to call it an Colony sorry. And when I learn how to up load a picture I'll post it

#13 Offline Auait - Posted July 11 2021 - 1:09 AM

Auait

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi and welcome! Antkeeping is a great hobby and I hope you will enjoy it just like I myself and many others have! Happy antkeeping!

#14 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted July 11 2021 - 1:09 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

I was looking at ants Canada today, and didn't like the prices. I know when starting a hobby, you want to do thing right. So it not always the cheapest of things. But 80 for a overworld. Was kind of crazy. Also I'll try and remember to call it an Colony sorry. And when I learn how to up load a picture I'll post it

yeah companies i would recommend are Tarheelants(handmade) a downside to those is they take 1 week-1 month to make but are still high quality, Ants Australia, i have heard good things about Foranto which are wood nests, and you could always make your own

Edited by Antkeeper01, July 11 2021 - 1:10 AM.

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#15 Offline Auait - Posted July 11 2021 - 1:15 AM

Auait

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

#16 Offline Auait - Posted July 11 2021 - 1:16 AM

Auait

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

#17 Offline Auait - Posted July 11 2021 - 1:17 AM

Auait

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I think I'm replying right, but here's the drawing we came up with. We plan on using our old 10 gal arylic fish tank. Is this an good idea ?

Edited by Auait, July 11 2021 - 1:29 AM.

#18 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 11 2021 - 1:38 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I think I'm replying right, but here's the drawing we came up with. We plan on using our old 10 gal arylic fish tank. Is this an good idea ?

You would need soil to fill a 3rd if the aquarium. And an escape barrier is required. Fluon should do. Also you could get some formicaria from tarheelants.

#19 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 11 2021 - 1:40 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
Oh there is a nest. My bad

#20 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 11 2021 - 2:13 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
A mini-hearth from Tarheel Ants is all you need for a colony’s first year. They only cost $35. That’s the way I would go instead of getting too elaborate. It takes a long time and really good care for a colony to actually need something as large as you’re envisioning.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users