• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ZATRIPPIT's Chelaner antarcticus Journal

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ZATrippit - Posted February 14 2024 - 12:03 AM

ZATrippit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationWaikato, NZ
Hey all!

This morning, my Chelaner antarcticus colony arrived from Ants in NZ along with some other supplies I purchased. It's a small colony with about 10 workers, although there's around 10 larvae as well. The farm came with the Ants In NZ Ant food, a food dish, tweezers and a brush for $40NZD (~$30USD) which I think is a pretty good deal. The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is the fact the test tubes have rotten wood in them which I'm pretty sure is unnecessary, but still works. Anyways, enough of the review and onto the ants!

Once I unboxed them and got them set up, they took a while to start moving. The colony must have been resting. One thing I've noticed is that they are quite slower compared to the introduced Prolasius advena, Nylanderia sp., Ochetellus glaber, etc. that I'm used to seeing, something I've also noticed with the native species Huberia striata.

I fed them a frozen click beetle segment and the Ants In NZ Ant Food on the dish as a homewarming gift. I ended up replacing the dish with a small plastic tube filled with sugar water, as they were simply navigating around the dish. Sure enough, they started drinking from it immediately. They weren't interested in lugging the Click Beetle segment into their nest, but they seem to be taking frequent nibbles at it.

Here's the nest.
20240214_203618.jpg
20240214_203606.jpg

The workers are beautiful.
20240214_180919.jpg

And here's a view of the Queen, workers, males, and brood.
20240214_153033.jpg
20240214_173940.jpg

That's it for now. I'm really excited to track this colonies development and see what happens! :D

See ya soon.
  • futurebird and rptraut like this
FROM NEW ZEALAND YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!!Species I have:3x Iridomyrmex undescribed2x Ochetellus glaberFree Queen Ants- 100% Legit (not a scam):<p>https://blogs.mtdv.m...free-queen-ants

#2 Offline ZATrippit - Posted February 14 2024 - 10:18 PM

ZATrippit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationWaikato, NZ
They haven't been accepting their food, so I caught some other insects. I'll see if they like aphids. If that fails, I'll try meat since RPT has success with it. :D
FROM NEW ZEALAND YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!!Species I have:3x Iridomyrmex undescribed2x Ochetellus glaberFree Queen Ants- 100% Legit (not a scam):<p>https://blogs.mtdv.m...free-queen-ants

#3 Offline ZATrippit - Posted February 16 2024 - 10:42 AM

ZATrippit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationWaikato, NZ
Had a talk on the discord last night and found the reason the queen keeps roaming the outworld is because of stress... I'll try not to make vibrations or lift the red film cover, but I can only wait and see...

Edited by ZATrippit, February 16 2024 - 10:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users