• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Welcome to the ant games! Tetramorium immigrans edition

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lillyrose - Posted June 29 2023 - 8:30 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
I really want a Tetramorium immigrans queen. It was my first ever queen and the one I kept the longest. I accidently squished her one day when I was cleaning their outworld.
So I've been super excited to find a new queen. I have a round aquarium I'm planning to line with tubes for a fun place for them to live. I love how they use the sand to build (as long as you keep it shallow enough that they don't tunnel).

Anyway, I got 6! I wasn't even looking but I think I'm going to release anyone that doesn't lay and sell the ones that lay except one which I will keep. But... how to decide who to keep?

Well, I'm glad you asked. That's why I'm having a summer event known as the ant games!

Some games are for advantages (better placement to heat, possibly brood boasting, ect.)

Some games are elimination challenges.

In the end there will only be one!

Let's meet our contestants.

Lady A
20230629_232852.jpg

Lady B
20230629_232909.jpg

Lady C
20230629_232928.jpg

Lady D
20230629_232937.jpg

Lady E
20230629_232945.jpg

Lady F
20230629_232949.jpg

Let me know if you have any ideas or predictions on winners...
  • rptraut likes this

#2 Offline Lillyrose - Posted June 29 2023 - 8:40 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
So the very first challenge is ... founding!

While the time it takes for an ant to found isn't always an indicator of *the best* queens ... but no one wants to be last!

So, first elimination will be whomever is the last Lady to lay .. or anyone who doesn't lay at all.

That means that several ladies have already moved to round 2!

Currently C, E, and F have moved to round two... except I have to say ... Lady C has scattered her eggs and that's not usually a good sign.

I'm personally rooting for Lady E

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 30 2023 - 3:46 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Tetramorium queens that keep their wings are definitely not mated. I can’t even give queens away any more much less sell them now that ant keeping has gone commercial.
  • Lillyrose likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Lillyrose - Posted June 30 2023 - 5:29 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Tetramorium queens that keep their wings are definitely not mated. I can’t even give queens away any more much less sell them now that ant keeping has gone commercial.

Well, that's disappointing to hear.

So you think both A and B aren't mated? Hmmm, possible. Normally the wings don't matter to me, but you have enough experience to take what you say to heart.

#5 Offline Lillyrose - Posted July 15 2023 - 12:50 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Today I went through and checked out all of the girls. Three of them have brood, and three of them do not. So the first round has determined a 50-50% split. Half of the girls will continue to the next round, and half of the girls were released. In the hopes that they could be able to find a mate and try again.

My original bet was that he would win the first trials. I'm interested to see if she's one of the tubes that has fruit. Also, I'm interested to see if any of the queens that have their wings have fruit. Don't forget to leave your predictions about which Queen you think will make it. Also, any name ideas you might have for the winning queen.

The winning queen will live her life with me (lol, prize or punishment) with her own ant wonderland. 🐜

If you are reading this before I get a chance to get on the computer and edit it I am truly sorry. The phone makes it extremely hard LOL.

VideoCapture_20230714-205744.jpg

The first one I needed to check was E... my personal favorite to win. She was hunched over a good little pile! I'm happy to see her moving forward into the next round and she joins the Crimson Queen in the warming tent.

VideoCapture_20230714-205828.jpg

I wasn't surprised when I checked A as she still had her wings and she joined the freedom group. However, I was surprised to see F had her own brood! She also had a pile of loose stool near the mouth of the tube.

VideoCapture_20230714-205857.jpg

After, I found B and C had also failed to lay. Then there was ♤
D. Something feels odd about this girl and I don't know why. I don't think she's going to make it .. but I have no reason to think that... wouldn't surprise me if she's laying males.... but it's just a random feeling.

Overall I'm being pushy and need to leave them alone. Poor girls keep getting pictures and stuff. I see several of the brood seem to be on the larva stage and that gets me excited. I want to put them out and start watching them lol.

Edited by Lillyrose, July 17 2023 - 5:13 PM.

• AntsCali098 likes this

#6 Offline Lillyrose - Posted July 22 2023 - 7:04 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Yesterday I checked on my girls and I'm super happy to say that we have some ants! So first I checked E... since she had eggs first I was excited to see her progress. Indeed, she had 3 or 4! Yay! I moved her to her new outworld.

I used a post it note to wrap over the test tube so they don't feel too scared and gave them some water, some ant nectar, and the tiniest piece of angel food cake.

They were def not feeling brave at the moment and after watching them for about 20 minutes no one had explored the outworld yet. I don't blame them .... they have only a few workers and I just gave them a bit of a shake up.

VideoCapture_20230722-215256.jpg

VideoCapture_20230722-215258.jpg

Next, I checked on ** and found her huddled over her eggs. Not yet. I returned her to the heat tent with the Crimson Queen.

Then I checked on I.

Ok, look.. I have to admit something. My first year I tried to heat the queens and ended up accidently cooking many of them. This year I tried again, but much more cautiously. As I laid the tubes out I choose I to be closest to the heat because she had the least chance of laying eggs. Also, if she started to act sluggishly or even died I'd take the others off the heat. Soooooo, as bad as I feel, she was the potential sacrifice.

As I mentioned last time, it turns out she actually laid. This is where I learned how much heat helps. She laid after E, but she has little helpers on the same day. She also had not 3 or 4 like E .. but 10!
Massive difference.

VideoCapture_20230722-215346.jpg
VideoCapture_20230722-215337.jpg

Again, I gave them an outworld with a tiny piece of angel food cake, water, and ant nectar. Here's where the differences showed up. These girls were out and exploring within 5 minutes. One ant has been systematically exploring. Moving from the tube to a wall, then back again... then does it again a few inches farther down. Two other ants found the water and ant nectar and started drinking.

I will say, unlike the sugar ants that stole my cake a couple years ago, these girls had no interest in the cake.

I'm going to give them a little bit of ham or something for protein and then leave.them alone.

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 23 2023 - 3:05 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’m really surprised your queen kept her wings. I’ve never seen Tetramorium queens do that.
  • futurebird likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#8 Offline Lillyrose - Posted July 23 2023 - 6:35 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

I’m really surprised your queen kept her wings. I’ve never seen Tetramorium queens do that.

Me too ... I am curious how they feed the muscle tissue to the larva when the muscle is still holding onto wings.

I guess they just aren't strong enough to fly anymore.

I think she's my new favorite

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 23 2023 - 7:12 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
The wings are held on by the exoskeleton. Metabolizing the wing muscles wouldn’t necessarily affect that.
  • Lillyrose likes this

#10 Offline Lillyrose - Posted July 23 2023 - 5:17 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

The wings are held on by the exoskeleton. Metabolizing the wing muscles wouldn’t necessarily affect that.

That I did not know!

Thanks

#11 Offline AntsTopia - Posted July 23 2023 - 10:14 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY and Managua, Nicaragua

Dang, all my tetramorium queens I got in their nuptial flight and their eggs are not developing. But I'm rooting for the queen with wings. 

• Lillyrose likes this

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#12 Offline Lillyrose - Posted July 29 2023 - 5:34 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
I plan to get back online later with my computer so I can edit this post but I have a lot to talk about for my lovely girls.

First is our surprise winged Queen F. She had the most hatch and she had them the quickest. I believe it was because I gave her more heat than I gave some of the others. Or at least that was a factor. Either way she is doing great. However, I've noticed that they've already lost two workers. I understand the stress of moving around when you're founding can be dangerous but I was very careful with them and I don't think I did anything specific to cause the death. I have to keep watching them because it just doesn't seem reasonable for them to have deaths already. However it is possible that they were out earlier than I realized. They're very small and I didn't want to bug them more than I had to.

My original first bet was e. She took over the second place spot at the moment. While it seems that she hatched on the same day as the F, she had significantly less. She started with just a few while the F queen had many. I find them to be more cautious. While the other Queen workers were outside and exploring fairly quickly this one was less eager to go out into the world. However, today they were each given Cricket legs. And it was only these workers that didn't bother to just take a piece and run, They worked together and dragged the entire Cricket leg all the way back to the eggs and larvae. I think that's a really good flag for them. It's something that makes me think that they're going to be fast growth. They must have a lot of mouths to feed. They also brought sand inside to build a small wall inside the tube. This is also a good flag... they're defending, working together, and ensuring the survival of the young. They're doing great.

Our third Queen D finally has her own workers now. I placed her in the third place tank. While at the moment there are no disadvantages to be in a third place she is the one that is on The Chopping Block first if there's an elimination. I don't have much to say about her yet as they are quite timid, reasonably so.

But she's not ready to be counted out yet.

I still have really good feelings about e and I was thinking about naming the three queens. Calling them by a letter seems a little wrong now.

Any suggestions?

I've taken the best pictures I can (to be added) but I made it hard on myself. I don't have a very good way to see inside the tube at the moment. I will eventually shrink and reduce the post it notes, but I tbink the founding stage should include some leeway on that.

Edited by Lillyrose, July 29 2023 - 5:40 PM.

#13 Offline Lillyrose - Posted August 4 2023 - 5:38 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
20230804_203820.jpg

So the girls are all doing well. They're in a small box with white sand, a heating cable along the back, and a test tube. The tubes are partially covered as I'd like them to learn to ignore the light... but I don't think it's helpful when founding.

Originally the tubes were covered entirely, but every few days I cut some of the post it notes and shorten the shaded area.

The center tank has my E queen and her girls... while they don't have the most members they are the only ones who took steps to ensure their own safety. They've been taking the sand inside the tube and building a little wall.

They don't seem to be eating much yet... but I know they'll eventually eat everything.

The 3rd group did take an entire Cricket leg into the tube though, which was amusing.

I released a few frozen fruit flies in their tanks. Turns out, they weren't frozen long enough and are now live practice... if they don't eventually catch them I guess they'll find them.

Despite my original intent, I will be keeping all 3 of these girls. Though one group will be moving to my classroom ... hehe

Edited by Lillyrose, August 4 2023 - 5:46 PM.

• ANTdrew likes this

#14 Offline Lillyrose - Posted August 5 2023 - 4:08 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Today I gave them a little tiny bit of marrow broth, and I busted up a bone to see if they would explore and inspect.

I'm amused because the fruit flies are actually doing quite well in there. Each tank has one or two fruit flies running around on top of the water tank or hovering over the food. The answer is so small and such small numbers that they just can't do anything yet.

#15 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted January 7 2024 - 10:30 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, SoCal
upd?

Currently keeping •
-A. occidentalis 

-B. patagonicus

#16 Offline Lillyrose - Posted February 19 2024 - 1:51 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

It's been a long time since I've updated here and a lot has happened. I'm not sure why I get into keeping a log and then not doing it.... I can only blame work for tiring me out and making it so I don't even want to look at the computer. 

Since I've been online I've decided to keep all three of the colonies. I gave up on the idea of having contests between them and am focused on just letting them do their best. I've recently lost my phone, so my photos are limited, but I will try to include some  as well. 

The first colony started to do really really well. I decided against getting nests for the girls and just going with the outworld and tube combo even as they get bigger. At one point they were filling three tubes when I decided they needed a larger outworld. I thought myself very clever and got a round one so that they wouldn't have easy access to corners for escape. To help keep their natural instincts to explore I layered the bottom in spiral tubing and glued it all down. I moved the girls in and it seemed like they loved it. 

Except, something went wrong. Within a few days there were literally hundreds of dead ants littering the bottom. They hadn't gone in the tubing at all, but all the bodies were falling to the bottom between the tubes. I'm not sure if the container had something in it, if the tubes did, or maybe the glue was deadly... or maybe even a cricket with some kind of disease... I still don't know. That's one of the sad parts of raising ants... sometimes there just isn't much in the way of closure. 

I've moved them back down and they are in a single tube again. I've been watching and trying to spot if the queen is alive. There are new eggs, but that doesn't mean anything. I have to wait and either spot the queen or see if they keep growing. I'm super upset because I know that it's something I've done that led to this. I'm so sorry girls... but such is life. I also took away the sand they had because I honestly wasn't sure where the issue was... they have new sand but they don't seem to like it much. Before they would change their layout often, building new hills and such... now the sand just lays there. I think that they're in shock about how much of the colony they lost as well and are just focusing on staying in the tube and healing. Even fresh crickets can only coax a few out and they haven't had a frenzy since the loss. 

I've been taking a lot of pictures of the tube in the hopes of spotting the queen. Let me know if you see her! 

VideoCapture_20240219-145850.jpg

VideoCapture_20240219-145844.jpg

VideoCapture_20240219-142137.jpg

VideoCapture_20240219-142129.jpg

VideoCapture_20240219-142052.jpg

VideoCapture_20240219-142132.jpg

I am going to put a new tube in as well. Not because they need it but because the first one is totally dry. I hope they will choose to move on their own as they have set up a breeding chamber behind the cotton. I don't want to try and remove them from the tube as I don't think it'll be good for their stress levels, nor am I certain I can do it without squishing them. I've seen colonies refuse to move and just die in an empty tube though, so I hope they're not that sort of colony. 

The second colony is doing well and has also been moved. I think they're so funny because they got all their sand together and made a little chamber over the heating cord. This is how they're trapping the heat and getting their brood to grow. Smart girls. I've limited the food intake for all three colonies over the winter, but I didn't hibernate them. Mostly because when I tried they wouldn't rest. They kept laying brood and moving and hunting unless I put them in a really cold place... but I think that they're just used to not needing it here in Virginia where hibernation probably isn't always needed. They weather is too mild. I let them alone this year, but next winter they need a break so I plan to put them in a cooler fridge. The one I have right now only has two settings... the first isn't cold enough and the second is too cold. 

One thing I like about these girls is the way they frenzy. They make it impossible to clean things up because the moment I come near the tank they are everywhere! They swarm over food as soon as I put it in. I've attempted giving them smaller tubes to create satellite nests... but I find they dry out way too quickly. Their first tube is dry, but they have access to a second one. While they aren't nesting in it, I see them going in and playing with the cotton often.. so my thought is that they have enough moisture that they don't feel they have to move... they know about the new tube and are choosing not to go. Unlike the other colony I'm not worried they'll choose to stay even if it means their death. Unlike the other colony.. these girls have never tasted any sort of defeat or disaster to temper their enthusiasm and are still the sort of brave that comes with never having lost.  

20240218_121242.jpg

20240218_133127.jpg

Finally, the third colony... I don't really know what's going on with these girls. They produce brood, but they eat them. Even with protein and sweets and water and all their needs being met they don't let many of them hatch. Maybe the queen is a bit defective? Maybe I should have hibernated her if no one else... I don't know. All I know is that I had to limit the food and heat intake on the other two until I could get larger outworlds... but these girls aren't really growing much. They aren't dying off, but they're not growing much either. It's like they want to stay in harmony with their environment and keep themselves smaller to be safe. I'm amused at the idea of a colony of hippy zen ants all working together to be one with their little plastic box. 

20240218_133238.jpg

20240218_133238.jpg

Still, they're fun to watch. Unlike the first colony which is ignoring their sand... or the second colony which is using it to create an oven... the third colony has hills and valleys and all sorts of fun things going on with their sand. I really love seeing what they do. I think it's interesting that they change the landscape so often and I wonder why. Then I found out my husband has picked them up and put them back... which means they weren't on the same spot for the wire... so maybe they moved it to better suit their heating needs. 

All in all, I love all three colonies and I am excited to see what this spring and summer will bring in terms of numbers. I plan to move the other two to larger outworlds. 

They are currently eating whatever I happen to give them, as well as crickets. I cut the heads off the crickets so they can't feel anything before feeding them. This way they get warm food and I don't feel like a jerk for giving them crickets that can feel anything. They also really love the flightless fruit flies. I don't know how they're so good at catching them to be honest. I know they mostly hunt by scent, vibrations, and such... but the flies are fast and hop all over the place! Sometimes it is a numbers game. The fly is out numbered to the point that each jump brings them to another cluster of ants... but sometimes it's just a few girls out hunting and chasing them down. It's really interesting to watch. Especially because they jump on them and end up going for a ride sometimes as the fly jumps around. 

I found these little nectar jelly pods at the pet store. They are meant for lizards that like nectar, but I got one to try with the girls. I'm still trying to figure out if they like them and are eating them, or just burying them with sand to get rid of it. The second and third colony have the little caps of jelly surrounded and put sand on it. The jelly is very moist so that doesn't surprise me. I just can't tell if they're actually eating it or not. The first colony isn't touching theirs. 

I'm going to go hunting to see if I can find any pictures from earlier... 

Attached Images

• VideoCapture_20240219-142124.jpg

Edited by Lillyrose, February 19 2024 - 1:59 PM.

• OiledOlives and TacticalHandleGaming like this

#17 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted February 19 2024 - 6:47 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Nice update! Are you planning on getting these colonies mature enough to produce alates, if so, are you going to breed them?

Currently keeping •
-A. occidentalis 

-B. patagonicus

#18 Offline Lillyrose - Posted February 19 2024 - 7:12 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Nice update! Are you planning on getting these colonies mature enough to produce alates, if so, are you going to breed them?

I'm not sure if they'll produce alates as they would need significant amount of space and resources. I imagine they have to feel secure enough in having more food in order to produce.

However, these girls are big on spreading and taking over. ... so the smaller space might make them want to produce and spread.

Either way... if they produce alates on their own I might put them outside and let them fly away .. but timing that would be hard. I'm under the impression that they decide when they want to fly lol ..

At the moment they have no lid.. but that will change pretty fast if they do produce alates. I guess I don't have a clear cut plan for that.

#19 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted February 19 2024 - 7:33 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

I'm not sure if they'll produce alates as they would need significant amount of space and resources. I imagine they have to feel secure enough in having more food in order to produce.

However, these girls are big on spreading and taking over. ... so the smaller space might make them want to produce and spread.

Either way... if they produce alates on their own I might put them outside and let them fly away .. but timing that would be hard. I'm under the impression that they decide when they want to fly lol ..

At the moment they have no lid.. but that will change pretty fast if they do produce alates. I guess I don't have a clear cut plan for that.
I’m not sure if the ants have their own biological clock to fly, I’m pretty sure it’s just set on the weather and season/month. Also, I would breed them IF they were to have alates to sell/give them away to other antkeepers. Keep these colonies strong! 💪

Currently keeping •
-A. occidentalis 

-B. patagonicus

#20 Offline Lillyrose - Posted February 20 2024 - 3:59 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

I’m not sure if the ants have their own biological clock to fly, I’m pretty sure it’s just set on the weather and season/month. Also, I would breed them IF they were to have alates to sell/give them away to other antkeepers. Keep these colonies strong! 💪

Unless I'm mistaken they cannot mate in a tank. They have to fly. So you can't really just mate them to keep.

They're really common and easy to catch when they fly though, so it's not too hard to get more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users