• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How often should I check up on my Myrmica queens?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Crazycow - Posted May 6 2021 - 9:59 AM

Crazycow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWashinton

I have 4 Myrmica queens atm in one test tube and because they are semi-claustral they need protein and sugar water. right now they have a drop of sugar water and a cricket leg on a piece of aluminium foil. how often should i give them more or check on them to see if they still have some?

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 6 2021 - 12:16 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
The tube should be put in a container the queen can forage in. Open the tube with a tiny opening like a straw and block the rest with cotton. This way you can have food available as needed without distressing the queen each time.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Crazycow - Posted May 6 2021 - 12:25 PM

Crazycow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWashinton

The tube should be put in a container the queen can forage in. Open the tube with a tiny opening like a straw and block the rest with cotton. This way you can have food available as needed without distressing the queen each time.

Thank you I will do this

#4 Offline steelplant - Posted May 6 2021 - 2:29 PM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
If you give them a foraging area then you also know when they're hungry, as they'll be out foraging. They like to have liquid sugar available all the time.

#5 Offline Crazycow - Posted May 6 2021 - 4:07 PM

Crazycow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWashinton

If you give them a foraging area then you also know when they're hungry, as they'll be out foraging. They like to have liquid sugar available all the time.

Ok good to know, now I just gotta figure out a setup for this bc everything I have is in use 😅

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users