• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

AntBoi3030's Tapinoma sessile journal

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted May 6 2021 - 7:12 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland

About a month ago i caught a colony budding it was one queen plus 10 workers running around. They were doing well in a test tube they didn't have any brood though so i set out to catch some brood and some workers to boost them. i found some under a mulch bed and scooped up a pile of eggs. i also went around my house every day for 30 minutes scoping up the workers i saw running in my house and adding them to the colony. When i added the brood found  realized i had scooped up some queens four of them. I found some queen alates too so now the colony has seven queens! and also a lot of workers too maybe 200-300 so i moved them into an acrylic setup and they love it. they have a massive amount of eggs from all of the queens. i feed them meal worms and spiders and occasionally a termite or two. I also like giving them ham as the cut off pieces of it and bring it back to the nest much resembling leaf cutter ants. they let the meat dry for a few days then proceed to gnaw on it and eat it. i also notice that they cover everything with sand via there out world. even there byformica liquid feeder with agave nectar in it was covered. i do think they still can drink from it too. i have been experimenting with feeding chips and bread they hate them lol. i am exited for this new generation of workers! i will be sure to update you all on them. :)

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#2 Offline Lillyrose - Posted May 8 2021 - 3:33 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
If they're putting sand on the feeder you might wanna try moving it back from their tube a little. They tend to do that when they're worried it could flood their nest.

It's awesome that they're being such good ants for you! I know they can be a pain in captivity. Will you be posting pictures?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users